Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX - Battery Light

Ant

Reaction score
Hi All,

Hoping that you can provide some advice.

I have a VX SS, and the battery light has come on.

Popped in battery world to check what the go was and the guy used a multimeter to check voltage - advisd the alternator wasnt charging.

I've noticed a few posts on here with people fixing bushes etc. My question is, before i fork out for a new alternator (cheapest i have found was 400$) what can I do to be sure it is the alternator.

Volts:
Car in acc mode: 11.6/7
Starting drops to around 8, then sits at 11.6/7

jay_wr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx berlina wagon 5.7
start the car put a multimeter on the battery it should say around 14v if it doesn't your alternator is stuffed, should be able to get a reco for cheaper

Ant

Reaction score
start the car put a multimeter on the battery it should say around 14v if it doesn't your alternator is stuffed, should be able to get a reco for cheaper

Doesnt get near 14v when running.

Best spot to get a reco alternator?

dannyn12

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx supercharged
any auto sparky can reco your alt

jay_wr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx berlina wagon 5.7
yea auto elec, they sometimes have a spare ready to go so you just give em yours and cash and take the reco

Ant

Reaction score
So I puled it apart, and found the termianl on the back of the alternator was dirty and damaged.

Replaced it, and voila.

xCalliba

EPICVN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1 5.0L, VN 'S' Pack project, VY S2 5.7
ant, was the battery light cumming on randomly, or came on and stayed on?
i ask because the batt light in my VT comes on randomly for anywhere between 5mins and upwards and turns off eventually. perhaps the terminals on my alternator could be shoddy??

Ant

Reaction score
Came on all of a sudden, I'd pull it out and check the terminals before you invest in a new alternator.

drift-it

Reaction score
Members Ride
'12 Px ranger 4x4
the positive terminal on the alternator has a habit of coming loose and frying alternators...i've seen a few vt/x's do this. just check if the nut securing the power wire on the alternator is loose. (including my own)

and its not always the alternator that causes the battery light it can be the regulator at the back (the black box) to check remove the regulator and if the spring loaded brushes are less then say 5-8mm replace as the new ones are a good 15-20mm long.