Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vx ecotec bottom end

Status
Not open for further replies.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Also if k&n were so bad why do the vcms, ramjets, orssom and many other otr cai use k&n instead of the paper airfilter or other brands? They use them because there the best on the market, if paper filters were the best they would've came out with paper air filters
People want power and with the k&n you get power and if you advertised a vcm for example being the worlds best otr cai with a paper air filter people will laugh at vcm and not even bother reading the rest of the description of what they advertise
I even use a k&n pod filter on my done up dirt bike and every time I take it off the inside is always clean like it just came out of the factory

Pod filter??

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
To be fair these filters don't 'make' power, they facilitate it, that's primarily why they are used, it's less about which is better and more about your only options. A paper filter would choke the crap out of mine.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
image.jpg

40k old filter on the right vs new one on the left. Slightly discoloured, but still clean on the outlet side. Black on the other side as to be expect.
Even the old filter had no choking to my NA engine. No idea why you had issues with a brand new one, maybe you have more issues and not related to the filter.

Last edited:

VX_Commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina S2
EYY
Iv done a lot of work to my dirt bike it's bigger cc and all that and for the filter it had a pod if that's what they call them on bikes
Edals
It might have been something else but I'm not to sure and because changing the filter fixed it I say it was thto filter making it do that
It doesn't do it on my mums car but it done it on mine
But I also know my airbox was never as tight as her one where the scope goes and when I brought the HSV one I cut a bigger hole on the airbox because it's a bigger scope and it also bolts onto the airbox and I also sealed it from the inside and outside using silastic

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
I took out the mesh from the maf because gm Motorsport do it on the cars they tune

Theyve also blown a few transmissions, quick better do that to yours. PROVEN RESULTS!

GM Motorsport are professional tuners, they say they take it out because it's a restriction in the air intake system and it gives better throttle respone and runs the engine cooler, they do it to all the cars they tune and they also have the fastest n/a cam only ve running 10s

First. Fastest Cammed VE Running 10s = / = Bog Stock VX V6.

Second. The mesh on the MAF is between a bees dick and an ants dick of restriction. Its NOTHING. The actual MAF itself and the convoluted tubing on the Intake are more of a restriction, if you were legit about reducing restrictions, just run a giant tube directly from the TB to the front of the car with no filters *thumbs up*. On the LS1s they tune, the generally reported/accepted reason the MAF was removed is because the MAF was the smallest part of the intake and was a restriction.

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
slow car ? Yes it's a family car.
Save your money, behave while on your p plates and get a v8 when you have your opens.
I followed this plan, 5 years off my ps and still have a bog standard ecotec.
I'd look at spending your cash on suspension etc first before looking for power.
Any performance upgrades may void your insurance if in the event of an accident.
well said, save your money, and buy a house

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
Were you at ive got a cheap vt ss 5lt for sale ok for p platers

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
So back to your logic on lower profile 15's, sure a smaller rolling diameter will make a difference... this is why people change the diff ratio instead.

Low profile 15's are for little cars and will have a load rating to suit these smaller cars, which will not be suitable for a heavy commodore (this is a roadworthy item).

From a quick bit of research looking at tyre sizes and load rating:

195/65r15 91
205/50r15 85-89
215/60r15 94
225/45r15 91

VT load rating is a minimum 92, at a guess VX is going to be atleast that or possibly higher.
From the sizes above the only one that is suitable will slow you down, it's the same rolling diameter with more rubber so it'll be heavier.

Apart from that issue for them to make enough of a difference on takeoff they will effect the speedometer, if the speedo is not accurate then the car is unroadworthy (any car produced after 1/7/1988 must have an accurately calibrated and functioning speedometer)

So far with the tuned/reprogrammed ecu/pcm and exhaust you have performance modifications that are banned for p platers as it is, hope the insurance company is aware of the computer mods, they love finding excuses to not pay out.

Last edited:

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Yep. Don't think for a second that they wouldn't spend $4000 in resources to get out of a $5000 claim.

High ratio reworked rockers are as far as you'd want to go. You can't visually tell that anythings been done that way.

vsv6dude

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6 wagon
1: K&N did not have anything to do with that link I provided, it's being advertised by 3A Racing advertising their filter that was in the test, so don't even try.

2: You haven't provided any info, your just rambling **** & are to lazy to back up your claims. I want a link that shows the actual filtration of the filter vs others.

3: I never mentioned anything about power with a K&N filter, not sure why you are? I put up that link to show you that they are pretty good at filtering crap out of the intake, like what all filters should do. It is a pretty good example as well, again please show me some clear examples of how they perform against other filter brands.

4: I already put up a link that shows the results of a number of filters being tested, so DO NOT ask for me to show you more when you haven't provided ****!

The link you posted means zip. Its designed to suck people in, I was sucked in once.

Obviously you have made up your mind that with K&N you are on a winner.
For race cars what you say maybe true, for street driven cars waste of time and money.

Quote: I want a link that shows the actual filtration of the filter vs others.
You must be really lazy. Search the site I posted early. Plenty on that site.

Reread what I have actually said.

Your posting has told me plenty already.

Status
Not open for further replies.