Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Engine runs on 5 cyl and noisy when cold but goes away after about 10 seconds

Ena II

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Transit with 2000 VX 6 Cyl Conversion
Hi I have a ford transit van with a VX engine. Been running fine for the last 7 years. Only now when it is started cold in the morning seems to run on 5 cylinders and rattles like tappet noise. It evens out and runs normal after about 10 seconds or so. I estimate the engine has about 200,000ks

I replaced the coils, plugs and leads. no change. Replaced the inlet gaskets. The old ones showed signes of water in the usual ports. Still have the same problem. Pulled it apart again but could see no sign of leaks. Cant see or hear any vaccuum leaks. But as stated runs real well once it evens out after the first start. The problem does not show on a warm start.

I think my battery may be on the way out but it starts the car OK. I read through a few threads suggesting ticking is normal on start up although this one never did till now. Also the starting on less than 6 cylinders has me baffled. Interestingly on warm days/nights (we are in the tropics) it does not happen. It really did point to the inlet manifold leaking.

I cant read fault codes as I think the connector is OBD1 or is not working on OBD2.
IMG-2702.jpg

Last edited:

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
check for combustion gas in coolant

Ena II

Reaction score
Members Ride
check for combustion gas in coolant
Cant see any bubbles. I have yet to put some more coolant concentrate and inhibiter in. I thought they normally change colour if there is a exhaust gas leak? Was previously nice and green.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Sick lifter bleeding down?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I replaced the coils, plugs and leads. no change
Did you change the dfi? (Thats what the coils sit on). If not change it. Get a know working one from the wreckers. Or from a mates v6 commodore.

Ena II

Reaction score
Members Ride
Did you change the dfi? (Thats what the coils sit on). If not change it. Get a know working one from the wreckers. Or from a mates v6 commodore.
I could test the current one but I know it is fine when the car is warm? Runs happy on all 6. Could the DFI be temperature sensitive?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I could test the current one but I know it is fine when the car is warm? Runs happy on all 6. Could the DFI be temperature sensitive?
I have had heaps of problems with dfi & coils. Now l have a wreckers supplied dfi & coils sitting in the back seat of the wagon. Over the years l've had the dfi sh#t itself in the middle of know where. I change it in 10 - 15 min. & l'am on my way, like nothing happened. Testing on the bench, they may test ok. On the car different story. Now when they sh#t themselves, the lot gets tossed. Coils as well. After changing them, its a trip to the wreckers for the next time.

Ena II

Reaction score
Members Ride
OK pulled the wires to the Purge valve. No change engine runs smooth. Pulled a few vaccuum pipes off, engine runs fine even with vacuum leaks. not sure if that helps.

Ena II

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have had heaps of problems with dfi & coils. Now l have a wreckers supplied dfi & coils sitting in the back seat of the wagon. Over the years l've had the dfi sh#t itself in the middle of know where. I change it in 10 - 15 min. & l'am on my way, like nothing happened. Testing on the bench, they may test ok. On the car different story. Now when they sh#t themselves, the lot gets tossed. Coils as well. After changing them, its a trip to the wreckers for the next time.
OK I can order one and give it a try.