Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Engine runs on 5 cyl and noisy when cold but goes away after about 10 seconds

H

harrop.senator

It sounds like a dodgy lifter and a mechanical misfire to me not electrical.

Bay 13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT.
Are you getting spark to the plug? U can then say its a spark electrical problem or fuel injector. Google the tube there loads of how too's on testing DFI, coils, injectors, etc. Multimeter and a plug in-pulse light tester for spark plugs come in handy in these times....

My guess no fuel as if there was you be getting un-burnt fuel smell, maybe even popping from the un-burnt fuel, you can use a test light for injectors, one wire stays on with ignition in the on position the other pulsates while running, I think that be the earth supply.

Ena II

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Transit with 2000 VX 6 Cyl Conversion
Are you getting spark to the plug? U can then say its a spark electrical problem or fuel injector. Google the tube there loads of how too's on testing DFI, coils, injectors, etc. Multimeter and a plug in-pulse light tester for spark plugs come in handy in these times....

My guess no fuel as if there was you be getting un-burnt fuel smell, maybe even popping from the un-burnt fuel, you can use a test light for injectors, one wire stays on with ignition in the on position the other pulsates while running, I think that be the earth supply.
Thanks. I have spark at each plug, however this is not conclusive because the engine runs fine and even after about 10 seconds. So simulating the fault is hard. I can "feel" each of the injectors pulsing as it runs they all feel the same. The difficulty here is the fault does not last long enough to test for. Ordered a DFI to see if that fixes it. Next I think a purge valve. Then perhaps injectors.

It started normally this morning, although I did have the manifold off for the second time yesterday. Fingers crossed I fixed it, but I am not confident.

Reactions: Lex

Ena II

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Transit with 2000 VX 6 Cyl Conversion
Hi thanks for everyones help. I think the fault is gone although the weather is alot warmer. I think the 5 cylinders was due to the valley gaskets.
I missed putting a second squirt of gasket cement on the top of the four corners. Started fine the last four days or so. Still have a rattling lifter(s). But I think I can live with that as it only lasts a few swconds. Again thanks for the gentle help from each of you.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hi thanks for everyones help. I think the fault is gone although the weather is alot warmer. I think the 5 cylinders was due to the valley gaskets.
I missed putting a second squirt of gasket cement on the top of the four corners. Started fine the last four days or so. Still have a rattling lifter(s). But I think I can live with that as it only lasts a few swconds. Again thanks for the gentle help from each of you.
Good you got it sorted! :cool:

max101cfh

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 vx equipe s2
I had the same problem, car ran like **** for a between 5-10sec then all good started perfect the rest. But once left over night same thing. I found out it was a vacuum leak. I replaced every vac hose I could find with no avail. Then I don't know why I check it but I checked the oil filler cap and it was loose not a lot but a little bit replaced cap since then not one bad cold start. I would check the vac hoses make sure they are all good as well as the oil filler cap

Reactions: Lex