Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vx front uni rubbing and fan wiring issues

180sc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais & vh sl
I have just done a l67 conversion on my vx acclaim and pretty much finished the job and have been up and down the street a few time no problems but when i went for a longer drive i got tothe end of my street and the front uni/donut is hitting on the underside of the shifter. i dont know why it would do this as it has new mount and is all standard gear, Any suggestions as to why?

Also when doing the wiring loom change we noticed the fan wiring is not as per the wiring diagram and only one of the fans is working, it seems to be missing the orangewith yellow stripe wire and instead has 2 orange with black wires :S again any ideas??

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The VT/VX wiring diagrams I have show that low speed uses a Black/yellow wire, and high speed uses an Orange/black wire, as these fans have 2 speeds.

180sc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais & vh sl
this is the diagram i am going off which is for the 2002 series 2 v6 and where im referring to wiring colors is at connection ye118 which is the connection under the power steering reservoir that connects to the fans.
This connection has 4 wires in the diagram it has Orange with yellow, blue with yellow, orange with black and orange with blue. but in my car it doesn't have the orange with yellow instead it has 2 orange with black.
It has me wondering if its the cause of the problem or if it lies somewhere else as the fan only comes on a 104 degrees or with the a/c turned on but only 1 of the 2 fans ever come on.

mini-Untitled-1.jpg

the other problem seems to be a bent shifter linkage.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
That wiring diagram above only shows 2 wires going to the cooling fans from the high and low speed fan relays, and theyre Orange/yellow and Blue/yellow. During these models there must have been slight changes made with the cooling fan wire colours.
The manual I looked at shows that the Orange/Black wire is for the high speed, (which your car has). You just need to find a Blue/yellow wire for low speed.
(To make things more confusing Ive posted above that the low speed fan wire in my diagrams was Black/yellow, just had another look and its actually Blue/yellow. In these diagrams I have, the colour codes are different to norm, B=Blue and BK=Black.)

Last edited:

180sc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais & vh sl
if you fllow the wire through from the battery you will see there is 2 ye118 connections shown but they are infact 1 connector which has the 4 wires i mentioned in previous post

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Right, I was only looking at the earth side where the fans are switched to earth through the relays, sorry about that. The wiring diagrams I have shows 4 wires. 2 X Orange/Blue wires, 1 Orange/Black wire, and 1 Blue/yellow wire.
One Orange/blue wire goes from the low fan fuse to the low speed fan. It joins a solid Blue wire just before the low speed fan.
The other Orange/blue wire goes from the high speed fan to the low speed cooling fan relay.. Its actually a solid Yellow wire from the fan and joins the Orange/blue wire..
The Orange/black wire goes from high fan fuse to a solid Green wire which joins the high speed fan.
The Blue/yellow wire goes from the low speed fan to the low fan relay. Its actually a Black wire from the fan and joins the Blue/yellow wire..
As mine shows 2 Orange/blue wires, maybe yours has 2 Orange/black? Ive got a feeling these manuals I have are wrong with their wire colour codes.. These newer gregorys and max ellery manuals aren't the best or most trustworthy manuals these days, theyre certainly not as good as they used to be.. I cant even find the cooling fan wiring diagram for VT/VX in the gregorys brand VT to VZ manual, what a joke..
Also check the low speed fan relay, replace it with another one and see what happens, as these relays are known for failing.

Last edited:

180sc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais & vh sl
thanks for that info it seems that holden cant decide how they wanted the fans wired. i have the holden manual on cd and its very comprehensive i have vt through vx series 2 my2003 including vu wh and monaros v6, v6 supercharged and all v8's but thereis slight differences between all of them.
we have tried different relays but it doesn't
make a difference but one thing we have noticed is when the a/c is switched off it second fan(passenger side) kicks and spins for a second. the car seems to be keeping cool but its not registered so i havent been driving it to tell if load etc will play a part.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
10551587_10152425610361919_1358276186858153568_o.jpg

Hope that might help, its just a dodgy pic but you can make out most of it.