Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX LS1 or LS3

Which one?

• Total voters

Arthursbenders

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX commodore Gen III LS1
Hey all, first post so just let me know what I get wrong. :)

So firstly I guess I should tell you it’s a 2001 VX commodore wagon currently with stock 4 speed auto transmission and its first stock gen III LS1 with 270 odd thousand km’s.

I got it to be my project car and although money isn’t really an object here I don’t want to be spending it for stuff all gains yeah?

Motors going strong but I know it’s last owner neglected it so I’m just putting my options together now for the future. What do y’all reckon, do I buy a new LS1/3, find one with low km’s on a repairable write-off or what :)

Help with what manual transmission I should get and anything else I might need for this would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advanced.

Ps. I will be searching previous threads as I’m sure I’m not the first one with this I just figured posting this first would make it quicker, and I like the look of the VX wagon so no I don’t want to sell and buy a VE or VF wagon.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
stroke the LS1 and you still have a box to suit, may need to beef up auto a bit

Arthursbenders

Reaction score
Members Ride
stroke the LS1 and you still have a box to suit, may need to beef up auto a bit

And so id be looking at a stroker kit for my LS1 yeah? A new camshaft too? Would that set me back around 14K

Should I install 6 speed manual? The auto trans is running alright but 1st relay delays

00SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VT SS S2
Consider the Borg Warner/Tremec T56 if you want a 6 speed manual. I occasionally see these available with the wiring harness, or you could source a manual donor car.

I also like the idea of an LS1 stroker.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
And so id be looking at a stroker kit for my LS1 yeah? A new camshaft too? Would that set me back around 14K

Should I install 6 speed manual? The auto trans is running alright but 1st relay delays
LS1 yep, depends on how much you do yourself, but should be budget ok, camshaft too, rebuild your auto too suit

Arthursbenders

Reaction score
Members Ride
So I just did some looking around and apparently I’d benefit from a new intake manifold because the stock LS1 one limits when stroked so that I’ve seen will be like $200-800 depending on what I want to go for.

Also found a Tremec T56 with wiring harness for $1,900

So;
Stroker kit for LS1 - $4,000
Camshaft - $950
Intake manifold - $600 (in between)
Manual conversion - $1,900

I’ll obviosly need a tune yeah? Which goes for what a grand?

So I’m looking at 9 grand if I do it myself. Any tips or suggestions on things I haven’t considered needing to be done? :)

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
Brakes and suspension (not just struts/shocks and springs but bushes as well) all good going fast but you need to be able to stop and turn.

00SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VT SS S2
So I just did some looking around and apparently I’d benefit from a new intake manifold because the stock LS1 one limits when stroked so that I’ve seen will be like $200-800 depending on what I want to go for.

Also found a Tremec T56 with wiring harness for $1,900

So;
Stroker kit for LS1 - $4,000
Camshaft - $950
Intake manifold - $600 (in between)
Manual conversion - $1,900

I’ll obviosly need a tune yeah? Which goes for what a grand?

So I’m looking at 9 grand if I do it myself. Any tips or suggestions on things I haven’t considered needing to be done? :)

If you have a VX LS1 I believe these came with the LS6 intake manifold which are better flowing than the LS1 intake (which my VT has). Take a look at the FAST LSX (92mm TB) or LSXR (102m TB) intake manifolds if you want a decent upgrade. There are carb intakes (see Edelbrock Victor Jr.) if you prefer but you generally need to mess around with the hood to make it fit.

You may have factored this in in already but the LS1 performs much better when it can breathe properly. So consider replacing the airbox with an over-the-radiator (OTR) cold air intake, there are tons to choose from (eg. Duspeed, X-air), as well a good quality full exhaust system.

I agree with DLFHUB666 though. You should strongly consider upgrading/replacing the brake and suspension. That is my priority for my VT before adding power as the factory brakes on these cars are decidedly average even for stock specifications. And well, same as I have been told by members on here, think about how your car will perform if you're running 300kw+ on 17 year old suspension components. :)

Edit: Yes you will need a tune, perhaps $1000 - $1500 for a custom tune.

Last edited:

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
As above , brakes wise, they're some serious coin but put harrop 4 spots and 343mm discs all round on mine , no comparison to standard.
Other thoughts , head work? .
What about all the other stuff, valve springs, lifters, push rods , collets, rockers, gasget set , your building a new engine ,- oil pump, water pump ( saves doing later), clutch, pressure plate. Do you now need bigger fuel pump, injectors.
All the forgotten little stuff plus above all adds up to a fair amount, but if you don't think about that stuff as much it won't seem to hurt the hip pocket as bad until you try to work out where all your money's gone.
Definitely not trying to talk you out of doing it, but done right first time with all background and less thought of things means not only a really nice, quick car but one that you're less likely to be spending time chasing that next broken item.

Arthursbenders

Reaction score
Members Ride
Brakes and suspension (not just struts/shocks and springs but bushes as well) all good going fast but you need to be able to stop and turn.

I’ll make sure to replace bushes but just had pedders suspension kit put in