Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX LS1 radiator change help

bgcarter1

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VX Series 2 Berlina 5.7/A4
hi, i have a new radiator to put in and was wondering if there is anything i need to be wary of and if someone can give me some instructions... any help appreciated! :beer chug:

ShannonN

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 - VX Series II Berlina (2002)
Hey BG
When I did my radiator in my VX, with replacement radiator I got (ebay radiators 121) the radiator came with a typewritten guide relating to removal and refitting etc I really just followed that guide.

Being an auto I had to undo the relevent lines and found, once off they were a little bent to suit old radiator at end clips, also as the lines were brass they had some swarf in the threads, best to check yours, clean all threads with a toothbrush etc. before re assembly.

Remember to locate the bleed screw for the engine fluids. as you're in an 8 I can't tellya where that is.
Everyone says to refill radiator by using an old radiator hose inserted into radiator fill hole to allow you to 'overfill' the fluid levels . I filled my overflow tank first with the green stuff then slowly filled the radiator (the whole cars system had been drained as far as I could) till it started to overflow the inserted hose.

I then started the car let it idle till the levels went down and kept topping till it again overflowed I made sure the heater was on . Once totally full I then undid the bleed valve and watched loads of air release as soon as fluid started to pour out of valve I closed it, rechecked fluid levels and just kept repeating the seqeunce till no more air was present and both radiator and overflow tank were full, then removed extra hose put new cap on worked great. a week later I retightened the auto trans lines at radiator to ensure good fit.

Cheers Shannon

bgcarter1

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
ok so i managed to do the radiator change last night, put in a 52mm aluminium one. Only problem i have is my fans seem to come on and stay on the temp doesn't get above half way, it sits just below half and stays there (thats why i did the radiator thinking it was the problem..) i have already changed the water pump and thermostat so they aren't the problem, also done the coolant temp sensor and pulled out the relays and gave them a tap and put them back in. Other things i have done since i have had this problem are: mafless tune (also used to have a missfire so got rid of 02's), new plugs, oil change, new pcv and air idle control motor.... Any suggestions?????

DavesCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Tapping the relays is only a temp fix, replace the 5pin relay? That runs the fans I'm pretty sure it is then see how you go. Mine did the same thing but they stay on all the time. Can also bring up the diagnostics on the trip computer to see what temp its actually running at

Alloytec

Reaction score
Members Ride
LS1 VT SS
You have taken your 02 sensors out completely ie no 02 sensors in the exhaust at all now ? if so you are muppet if you dont understand things dont play around with them... Take the car back to the place where you got it tuned and ask them. They would of reprogrammed what temp the fans cut in and out at during the tune..

bgcarter1

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Tapping the relays is only a temp fix, replace the 5pin relay? That runs the fans I'm pretty sure it is then see how you go. Mine did the same thing but they stay on all the time. Can also bring up the diagnostics on the trip computer to see what temp its actually running at
Did check the temp in diagnostics today, driving around with very little throttle at 60kmh in the rain was sitting at 97 to 98 degrees, when I stopped it went up to about 100.

bgcarter1

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
You have taken your 02 sensors out completely ie no 02 sensors in the exhaust at all now ? if so you are muppet if you dont understand things dont play around with them... Take the car back to the place where you got it tuned and ask them. They would of reprogrammed what temp the fans cut in and out at during the tune..

Hi alloytec thanks for the reply, I'm no muppet but I think when the car was tuned he said the o2 sensors are now disabled... They are still there but once it was tuned the tuner and i went for a drive and he had a air/fuel meter tapped into the o2bung. Once he was finished he put the sensor back in. The sensor was new before the tune and it was running the same temp before the tune, Another thing to consider is it has an under drive pulley kit on the motor, maybe it's just the temp it runs at....

DavesCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Should run around that thermos usually come on around 102-104 then settle around 94-96. I was gunna get a full alloy rad for mine but me mate at corsa reckons there a bigger problem then the stock ones. I'm not to cluey with the under drive pulley set ups would it make the water pump spin slower? Or do you change the water pump pulley as well? I might learn something here haha