Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX overheat no thermostat

T27

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx executive
Hi everyone ,
I've seen many posts about overheating but every case is a bit different from another and i wanted to ask for some help.
I've bought a VX a couple of weeks ago with 150k km and run well until yesterday , it started overheating , i've stopped and checking around i found a leak on the bottom hose on the heater tap.
I was thinking the thermostat was stuck close and the high pressure made the hose leak.
I kept driving to get home , having a 10minutes break every 5minutes driving for a total of 15minutes drive or a bit less.

This morning i went to have a better look and i noticed the thermostat is missing , so the previous owner was hiding some fault by taking off the thermostat .

How do you suggest to proceed?
Hopefully today i can find and replace thermostat , heater tap and radiator cap and temperature sensor just because they're cheap and easy to fit , but there must be something else wrong if the previous owner decided to take off the thermostat.

Any suggestions about what i can do and try to understand what's wrong?
I'm not bad with tools but i haven't got much experience , and not much money , any help will be much appreciate , thanks in advance.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Over heating on the V6 is usually due to the system not being bled properly or the thermostat not opening (not in your case). It can also be due to a blocked radiator.
Take off the radiator hoses and stick a garden hose in the radiator to see if it is flowing out well.Try bleeding it properly and replace the thermostat.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Thermostats work in 2 ways.
1 They close when the engine is cold so the engine warms up quickly
2 When the engine warms up, they open to allow the flow through the engine and radiator but they also restrict the flow sufficently to allow the radiator and air flow to cool the water/coolant.
So definitely replace the thermostat and see how that goes.
Being a VX I would assume high K's so radiator would probably be the next step.

As accent said, also bleed the system through the bleed point at top drivers side of the radiator.

T27

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx executive
Ok i will replace heater tap and thermostat soon, refill the coolant and try to bleed it then will write here how is going ! Thank you

T27

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx executive
Thermostats work in 2 ways.
1 They close when the engine is cold so the engine warms up quickly
2 When the engine warms up, they open to allow the flow through the engine and radiator but they also restrict the flow sufficently to allow the radiator and air flow to cool the water/coolant.
So definitely replace the thermostat and see how that goes.
Being a VX I would assume high K's so radiator would probably be the next step.

As accent said, also bleed the system through the bleed point at top drivers side of the radiator.
So you would replace the radiator as the next step if it doesnt get better?

150.000km , dont know if real

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
If the radiator has good flow and no leaks I wouldn't bother replacing it.
Leaks also allow air to be sucked in, so when you replace the heater tap and bleed it, it should be fine.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
They can overheat from the rad cap not sealing.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Remember to have the heater tap fully open when you fill it and bleed it.
When I did the VS (new hoses/heater tap/thermostat) I ran the heater for 3days bleed each day after that no air only small amounts each time.
Good luck.

T27

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx executive
Remember to have the heater tap fully open when you fill it and bleed it.
When I did the VS (new hoses/heater tap/thermostat) I ran the heater for 3days bleed each day after that no air only small amounts each time.
Good luck.

New tap , new radiator cap and new termostat are in place , how do i make sure the heather tap is open while bleeding? Im not even 100% sure how to bleed properly but I still have to search on the forum.

Thank you very much to everybody helping

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
New tap , new radiator cap and new termostat are in place , how do i make sure the heather tap is open while bleeding? Im not even 100% sure how to bleed properly but I still have to search on the forum.

Thank you very much to everybody helping

Turn the heater on in the car and that should let coolant through the system, then on the top of the radiator, drivers side, you will find a bleed fitting.
May have to remove radiator cover panel to access the bleed screw.
Once you start the car and have filled the coolant, undo the bleed fitting until coolant/air is released, then when all air is gone, screw the fitting back up, but not too tight, you don't want to beak it.
Also, as above, make sure radiator cap is ok.