Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vx ss 2000 shaking shuddering on acceleration

umair

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sold my car :(
My vx ss is shaking teribbly on acceleration like bhur bhur. And on reverse it sounds like grrrrrrrr. The whole car shakes when I accelerate and noisy like ghut ghut. It is still drivable and I take it on the highway. The engine and transmission are in excellent condition. I think the axle or whatever and suspension are bad. What is bad from underneath? How can I repair it (change bushings?) and how much parts cost. The car is now 290K kms. What parts do I need? Thank you.

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Sounds like a tailshaft problem. Most probably a worn universal joint.I would not drive it any more because if a uni joint lets go, the tailshaft can dig into the road and flip your car over. I know someone who broke his back when this happened.

umair

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the help will look on it on the weekend!

umair

Reaction score
Members Ride
Definately is the u joints. They are shot. Just one last question. It is a hard one. Will normal VX car u joints fit in a sports VX SS car. Please reply need to get it fixed. The car is really low suspension. Cannot really go under it. Plus there is a shield at the bottom.

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
Yep if your car is very low it f**ks the uni's and centre bearing more regularly due to the extreme angles it is subjected to over a stock height car. Also worth checking engine mounts as they also go bad on lowered cars and cause vibration problems of their own.

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
Hey umair,

The problem is rotational in nature so ALL the drive train mounts should be checked... so Engine / Gearbox / Centre Bearing & Diff along with the uni's... AND your rear CV drive shatfts.

Once you have checked these check the other rotational items like wheels, hubs, dics rotors even your brake pads.

Good luck

umair

Reaction score
Members Ride
I got my engine and gear mount replaced today. They were totally bad. One was so bad that half was missing. Drove it and much better. Now vibration when the car is still is completely gone. No more grrrrrr in reverse and is smooth except for one little problem. I am getting vibration at 35 to 65 kmph and it sounds like tuck tuck tuck tuck. The vibration is gone at highway speed at 90 to 120 kmph and it only happens at 35 to 65 kmph. The mechanic checked the driveshaft and told me it is the rubber coupling. I tried to rotate and check the propellor shaft with my hand and there was no play. But when I banged it/tapped it with my hand several times it went ting ting. Is it the rubber coupling or the u joints and center bearing. But the car is alot smoother now. Thanks. Also will balancing the shaft work? I am not getting vibration on highway

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
yep I just had my rubber couplings replaced these are a common failing point, glad you got your mounts all sorted enjoy the smoothness hehe

VS-X-AMBO

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VS S Ute lll
God welcome to my world....
I've just had this fixed, don't know where to take it in saudi arabia but a place called 'Driveline Services" looked at mine a couple of times, in Brendale Nth Brisbane. If it's the same as mine, there's a rubber donut or coupling, the standard 30mm one didn't last long and have just added a 35mm one which seems to of done the job with vibrations under power. It is a common problem with these things. The other vibrations will of almost certainly of been motor and box mounting rubbers. They go stiff and hard over 10 years and they are not hard or expensive to replace. "Best check other front end rubbers like sway bar mounts". You may be able to contact these guys to have the ones they make sent to you. Much tuffer than genuine. It's truely amazing what a few new rubbers can do for your ride. Good luck with it bud.
Alex