Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX SS Commodore - My diary.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Firstly, a stock cam isn’t the best for torque. An aftermarket cam in the mid 220’s will give you more power and torque EVERYWHERE. And if going for a histall, you’re free to go a little larger with the camshaft and you won’t notice any loss in torque.

You won’t get 400hp without head/cam alterations. Can be done cam only but you’ll lose driveability and manners.

When you have it tuned make sure they don’t tuner lock the pcm. Mines tuner locked and the bloke went out of business a couple of years back. It’s a **** tune too - having it fixed shortly though.

As for the transmission, find another transmission builder. The bloke obviously has no idea. You can build these things to take incredible amounts of torque/hp. Just not many people know how to properly. Transmission builders are like tuners - very difficult to find a good one thats willing to put the time and effort in to make it work for YOUR situation.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Nice, it's a pain but also fun trying to work out which way to go /what to do .
Someone will probably correct me if I'm wrong but I think auto in the vs is the same
and transmission guy said when he rebuilt mine it was good for 600hp .
Valley mount/ positive displacement supercharger, eg something like the harrop , fair bit of $ but you'll have a smile on your dial wider than your ears, = even better with 3.9 diff and cam to suit supercharger.
Only time you won't be smiling is petrol stations and thinking about fuel use.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Oh , and that instant torque and supercharger wine = soo additive.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Nice and tidy mate.
Love them wheels

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 383 Harrop enhanced
Small update today. Had my my finances sorted for the truetrac but sorta blew that idea for a couple weeks by being impulsive.
Replaced stock head unit with a new Kenwood and reversing camera.
Miscellaneous small updates.

55ams

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6 sedan manual
clean vx man!! ls sounds good

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
Bit of an update...finally got my 3.9 truetrac (Dana) put in. Wow this thing really livened up the car. Not only does it pull a fair bit harder but its made the car so much more drivable. By that I mean it has made my transmission pull the right gear (most of the time). Its certainly using the gears alot more. Where the stock 3.08 used to bog down in 3rd the 3.9 just drops the gear. It also drives in a better rpm range in the power band.
Might just add in I had a transmission service done as well.

I made a quick vid but its hard to visualize a diff change other than going to the track. But as its a diary I made one anyway :p

Well worth the upgrade imo !!

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
So its been a couple of months and its a bit like...one step forward and 2 steps back. Trying to get my cam and stall sorted but..had bills, rates etc..anyway a small update
I had a leaking steering rack...had that repaired (replaced).
I had to have a camber kit installed due to my larger simmons rims. I wish people would tell you about these small things before purchases are made. It cost nearly 800 bucks but also the inner tire is torn apart so need 2 rear tires as well. I would have preferred to have got it done all at the same time and saved my tires. Anyway, live and learn. A bit of a heads up for anyone getting bigger rims/tires on this model...you will need a camber kit.
I also removed my tint. It had a few scratches and was just generally a little old.
I got the car at 168800km's had it serviced... its just got 174600 (12 months) and received another service.
I'm hoping just after xmas to have the cam/stall done, cai, lifters springs etc depending on how expensive santa is gonna be this year !! I've been quoted around 8k for the stall and a complete top end rebuild/tune but I may end up doing my brakes and suspension if I'm short on funds.

Pic of new tint...

DSC040371.jpg

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
small update.. first off replaced my headlight globes with the new +130 philips extremevision and calibre bulbs..much better night vision now. Also number plate led.
I cant afford my cam/converter for another 6 months so I decided in the meantime I'll put on a cai and get a decent tune..the result showing on the card. Wow what a difference a tune makes. Definitely more power and responce but the shifts in the transmission (moved shift points and I assume a little more pressure) make it feel like an entirely different car. I might make a vid on my usual little street later as a reference.

K39VBzACSro6ZXLduRssEnZg1fJNlOrDYr57yEMEodaGeT9Uv8U1s9TkrKrX-aV9belMF1eFOeBL27Oa5XoeAoa7G3qBgqo4UK5LmUs2LwRlTzrwvV_v0c3L_Zt14Z7waww8BhzgxA=w2400