Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX SS Commodore - My diary.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
This is what craigs did to mine

20210831_175308_resized.jpg

AlexH95

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Candy Green VY Clubsport #1102
Sucks about the constant gearbox issues :(

do you think being blown & a 383 stroker combo is what played a huge factor for its constant breaking or would just supercharging a stock ci LS1 with a built 4l60e never work?

I’m currently in the process of getting a harrop 2300 for my LS1. Already has a Built 4l60e, 3500 stall, 3:9 diff gears, VCM13 cam ect. but reading this thread has scared me a bit.
The cam being so big we decided to order a 10PSI pulley to compensate for the boost bleed due to the nature of the cam. Do you think if I ran the standard pulley it’ll help a great deal? The tuner seems to think the box should hold up fine but who knows.

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 383 Harrop enhanced
Your 4l60e wont hold up period with that supercharger and 10psi imo unless its got a really soft tune and even then... IMO anything with high HP/Torque is going to destroy your 4L. Its the torque that get them as my 4th gear pull demonstrates.
I've had my car back for a couple of months now. Its currently in the shop getting another trans as I speak. This is the 4th box in 2 months and the only reason I've done it is its my daily and I cant get my hands on a turbo 400 until November. So I have to resist my right foot for a few months and ignore other people on the road.

So my short little explanation of my trans woes...
Waited 4 months (instead of 1) for the engine build...by this time I was pretty anxious about getting my car back.
Got my car back on a friday at 2pm(happy)...by 3pm it was back at the workshop with 3rd/4th gone.
Had another trans built...within a week I'd blown it up. I'd figured it went because of how traction control works on the VX
So 3rd trans built...I turned the TC off when I jumped in...drove it for a week. Then had a Falcon pull up beside me...did a run...didn't even drop a gear as I was already doing 80. So 4th gear pull....was enough to blow 3rd and 4th again. I even had a deeper pan put on...puts another 4 or 5 liters in.
So now I have my 4th being built. I know I cant use the power so I'm going to putt around for a few months until November

Also my truetrac diff blew on the dyno. Axels were so jammed in they had to be cut out...just another thing to have in the back of your mind.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Who could of imagined the car featured in the movie “Driving Miss Daisy” was akchully a super charged, stroked monster.

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've also changed my plan a little..was going to do a gear vendors overdrive...my mechanic suggested I try just the t400 first for a few reasons and I sort of see what he was saying. Its mainly just a local get around and the cost of a gear vendors is pretty steep.
I might drop my gears down instead from 3.9's maybe all the way down to 3.08's or 3.45's with the t400

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
How is your gearbox holding with its current mods?

No issues at all

And I don't baby it either

Craigs gave my built 4l60e a 12 months warranty as well, rated to 600hp

The only time it went back to them was after the supercharger install to fiddle with the line pressure to suit the new power

When it comes to transmission builds, Craigs is the only place I recommend, or trust

Anyone can "build" a transmission, few can build them to survive it seems

It is more than just parts

I was also told to never, ever, "full send" in 4th, always, always drop to 3rd under a little pedal, then "send it"

Thats been working well for me, but I'm only making about 950nm at around 2800 rpm with an unlocked converter

Disclaimer: I do plan on getting a T400 if/when the 4l60e drops its showbags, but for now there is no need as the current box is "loving it" with no signs of slip, and the trans fluid is still nice and clean with no signs, or smell, from the fluid getting to hot

As for rear gears, I'm looking at binning my 3.9 rear and getting something that suits the power better, maybe 3.46?

Last edited:

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
No issues at all

And I don't baby it either

Craigs gave my built 4l60e a 12 months warranty as well, rated to 600hp

The only time it went back to them was after the supercharger install to fiddle with the line pressure to suit the new power

When it comes to transmission builds, Craigs is the only place I recommend, or trust

Anyone can "build" a transmission, few can build them to survive it seems

It is more than just parts

I was also told to never, ever, "full send" in 4th, always, always drop to 3rd under a little pedal, then "send it"

Thats been working well for me, but I'm only making about 950nm at around 2800 rpm with an unlocked converter

Disclaimer: I do plan on getting a T400 if/when the 4l60e drops its showbags, but for now there is no need as the current box is "loving it" with no signs of slip, and the trans fluid is still nice and clean with no signs, or smell, from the fluid getting to hot

As for rear gears, I'm looking at binning my 3.9 rear and getting something that suits the power better, maybe 3.46?

Gawd I wish I had your luck, GB :p It is what it is. My car doesn't like 4l60e's. She has told me 3 times already that its not acceptable.
I certainly dont wish anyone broken parts but its likely to happen with a 2300 harrop on 10 pounds. Only my opinion though !!
I wish you better luck than me, Alex :)

AlexH95

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Candy Green VY Clubsport #1102
Gawd I wish I had your luck, GB :p It is what it is. My car doesn't like 4l60e's. She has told me 3 times already that its not acceptable.
I certainly dont wish anyone broken parts but its likely to happen with a 2300 harrop on 10 pounds. Only my opinion though !!
I wish you better luck than me, Alex :)
Honestly mate. I think everyone’s convinced me enough. I’m going to wait a little while before I boost my car. I’ll get the engine and gearbox sorted first just to be safe. At this stage I’m planning on adding some Higgins heads as the standard ls1 heads aren’t ideal and apparently a great upgrade.