Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX SS knocking noise

tristanVXSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 s2 VX SS
Hi all I know this has probably been asked time and time again but I can't find anything that matches my problem. In the past my car has made a knocking noise right at 5k when due for a service but now seems to be more regular usually once car is warm. It's fairly noticeable noise as you can hear it while sitting in car driving. I'm thinking possible lifters or springs etc but not a 100% sure. But people in the past have told me lifters are more of a rattle wear as this is more of a knocking noise and will obviously get fast as you you rev more. Any info would be much appreciated cheers
P.s I have a recording of the noise but unsure how to attach it as it a voice recording now video when I figure it out ill post it up

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
Hi all I know this has probably been asked time and time again but I can't find anything that matches my problem. In the past my car has made a knocking noise right at 5k when due for a service but now seems to be more regular usually once car is warm. It's fairly noticeable noise as you can hear it while sitting in car driving. I'm thinking possible lifters or springs etc but not a 100% sure. But people in the past have told me lifters are more of a rattle wear as this is more of a knocking noise and will obviously get fast as you you rev more. Any info would be much appreciated cheers
P.s I have a recording of the noise but unsure how to attach it as it a voice recording now video when I figure it out ill post it up
Could be gudgeon pin noise ( look it up on google) ie: commodore v8 gudgeon noise or on youtube to see if it sounds the same.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
You keep a knocking but you can't come in, love you Tina.

vxs93

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX s-pac manual
How many km does the car have? I honestly have no idea what it could be but if I were you I would pop open the bonnet and try and find the source of the noise. Listen near the gearbox too. I recently had a knocking noise that I could hear at idle and it turned out the engine mounts were the cause. My gearbox (5 speed getrag) also makes sort of knocking noise which I've been told is the thrust bearing, I am getting the clutch changed soon so I am getting the mechanic to fix the problem. Maybe take the car to a good mechanic to have it inspected?