Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vx v6 cranks but not starting up

kirraweeae

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive s2
Time to look at the electrics then.

Youve ruled out DFI/ECM, Leads, coils, plugs.

Hmm check earth strap to engine block ? The starter could be piking up negative through the harness. Actually it would throw an undervolt alarm if this was the case, so it's not likeley.

That leaves just DFI harness and contacts, ECM/PCM harness and connections (all of which would throw fault codes). All thats left is your ignition circuitry and the Key barrel.

$10 bucks says Abba is right.

Just removed metal sheilds from plug leads car runs.
am going to fit genuine leads only from now on.
bosch leads that were fitted shorted out on sheilds from first start.
Thankyou for all your help Dave

madmatt2006

Reaction score
Members Ride
Soarer 1jzgtt VH commodore VZ svz

DGC76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX commodore
On my Vx Calais I found it was the freeplay in the key & ignition barrel causing an excessive gap between the two metal tabs on the key reader ring & the metal tab on the key. All I did was flip out one end of both the metal tabs on the key reader, which reduced the gap & car starts everytime now..

Attachments

• 46266209-1950-447F-B979-037F79C59D12.jpeg
    46266209-1950-447F-B979-037F79C59D12.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 285

Vx77

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx2001
I have a vx commodore v6 not starting,cranks over but not firing up. We have spark,fuel injection, fuel pressure and fuel volume. The vehicle has had a second hand motor fitted (same problem with both motors). We have tried another comutper,bcm, coils and dfi module. We have given the vehicle another fuel supply but still turns over and not starting up. second hand motor came with it's own sensors.
any ideas .
thanks Dave
Both my step brother and I have commodores with the same problem, we have discovered that the immobilizer sometimes doesn't recognize that the car has been unlocked, we have to get out of the car, lock it, then unlock it a couple of times, get in and the car starts straight away

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Check that the the metal piece protruding from the key remote is making contact with the key reader around the ignition.
Try pressing the unlock button on the key before turning it to start.

Aussie Trev

Reaction score
Members Ride
2 by VX Acclaim Wagon Series II 2001 & 2002
Hi Guy's

I know this post is old, But I have identical problem in a VZ in the above post he mentions "Just removed metal sheilds from plug leads car runs"

what metal shield is he referring to anyone got a picture?

my posts on the problem

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/what-has-control-over-the-spark.272628/

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/the-cursed-vz-svz-that-just-will-no-run.272610/
On earlier models they used plug leads with a sprung metal cover over the plug end that were a bit of a pain in the butt.