Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX V6, Intermittent Power Loss

Shaun_Hitchcock1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore S 3.8 Series 2 Manual
Hi All,

After some advice with my 2002 VX V6 Manual. I believe it is an electrical issue and wanted to try some trouble shooting efforts before going to an auto electrician.

When driving I will randomly lose power. It is a sharp loss of power that jolts the whole car as if the engine is about to shut off, but it will only be for a second or so. There is no particular time when it occours, sometimes i will be coasting along and it will cut power for a brief second, other times when under load it will do the same.

What i have discovered is when i turn the air con on, this is when it will happen. If the air con is off, even with the fans still blowing air, there will be no intermittent lost of power.

Cheers

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hi All,

After some advice with my 2002 VX V6 Manual. I believe it is an electrical issue and wanted to try some trouble shooting efforts before going to an auto electrician.

When driving I will randomly lose power. It is a sharp loss of power that jolts the whole car as if the engine is about to shut off, but it will only be for a second or so. There is no particular time when it occours, sometimes i will be coasting along and it will cut power for a brief second, other times when under load it will do the same.

What i have discovered is when i turn the air con on, this is when it will happen. If the air con is off, even with the fans still blowing air, there will be no intermittent lost of power.

Cheers
Description for me sounds like leads or spark plugs?
My description would be a shudder or a thump, like running over a speed detector rubber across the road?

Shaun_Hitchcock1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore S 3.8 Series 2 Manual
Description for me sounds like leads or spark plugs?
My description would be a shudder or a thump, like running over a speed detector rubber across the road?
Shudder or thump is a very accurate way to describe it for sure.

I have can replace the leads/plugs no dramas. Any idea why its only an issue when the air con is on?

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
possibly aircon compressor about to seize up?

Reactions: Lex