Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX/VU Electrical Faults

Walshy227

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VU S Ute
I am starting to have some electrical issues with my 2001 VU S V6

1. The passenger headlight low beam kept blowing every 1-2 months so I replaced with some aftermarket headlights (was going to eventually anyway) thinking the headlights could have a problem, but now my new projector beams do the same thing only on the one side.

2. My steering wheel controls don't work all the time. I have a JVC head unit that works with controls (dad has the same unit in his VY) with the appropriate harness, the controls are new as well (when I replaced my steering wheel). I have checked that everything is plugged in properly but sometimes the buttons work fine, other times the mute button will switch me from iPod to radio and some won't even work occasionally. Could this maybe be a bad clock spring?

3. My indicators are occasionally making a weird noise when I turn them off. They make the usual indicator noise but repetitive and fast for about 10 seconds.

4. My immobiliser has a complete mind of its own and will be turned on even after I have just gotten in the car and makes the car not start until I hit unlock on the key. Both my keys are new and recently programmed. This is a huge problem and has caused me to get in the habit of hitting unlock literally every time I am about to put the key in the ignition and it is driving me insane!!!!!!
I'm not very electrically inclined so has anyone had similar problems and how would they be fixed? Am I in for an expensive trip to the auto electrician?

Thanks!!

D

devilly

my first thoughts would be to check for any error codes.

next would be check connectors to bcm and ecu.

even battery terminals and all leads going to them ain't loss, and make sure all earths are tight.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
i would suspect they are all individual problems
but check your battery and alternator first

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
problem 1 - i would be checking the loom for the headlight, another member recently found a probelm with their wiring loom under the body in the engine bay area, u may have some wires shorting out or getting a voltage spike somehow, but i would think a voltage spike would cause more issues other than just a blown headlight. ur not handling the new globes with ur bare hands are u?

problem 2 - again i would be closely looking at the wiring for the controls, if you replaced the buttons with cheap aftermarket ones that could also be the problem. start the car and turn the wheel 360 left and right while using the buttons and see if it gets better or worse at any particular point. im not sure if the clockspring has anything to with the radio controls, but if it does then yes, that could be the culprit, otherwise u might have an issue with wires binding up. i would also check the plug at the back of the head unit and make sure it is plugged in firmly and has good contact.

problem 3 - ur indicator stalk is worn out and u need a new one, a simple test is to put ur hazards on and make sure the indicators are working normally. u will probably find that if u apply slight upwards or downwards pressure on the stalk (opposite to the way it was just engaged) then the fast ticking problem will stop.

problem 4 - not too sure about this one. do you normally leave ur car unlocked so u dont actually need to hit the unlock button every time u get in? it could be something to do with the programming that is automatically engaging the immobiliser after a certain amount of time. if its not that then it may be something to do with the contact ring on the ignition barrel (again - not sure if this has anything to do with the immobiliser). im guessing u just have the factory immobiliser and not an aftermarket alarm system?

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Are you using the axxess aswc for the steering controls because my unit does that sometimes swaps the buttons from the last drive then on the next ride swaps them back.

The axxess was never meant for the VX so meh.

When indicators rapidly flash means a indicator globe has blown.

And the last one sound like your BCM is been a bitch.

my advice is either purchases a second hand one with matching fob and have it linked with a tech 2, or if your handy with electronics take out the BCM from its cover exposing the board and reflow using a heat gun and fresh flux.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
number 4 is most likely key reader or nipple on remote