Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy Alternator wiring issue.(Gen III LS1)

VyBudgetBuilder

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy 1tonner
Since this is my first post on here I'd like to thank all of you who have contributed so much knowledge to help out the less informed such as myself.
My issue is with my alternator wiring (alternator tested okay). The wire from the alternator to the battery is fine but I'm not sure how to go about testing the fuseable link and wiring to the instrument panel as the alternator itself is not energizing. Everyone is telling me to take it to an auto electrician but due to budget constraints and sentimental issues I'd prefer to do as much as possible by myself.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out.

HSVHessy83

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Vy Holden Commodore HSV Clubsport
Hey mate, new here myself, i'm in the same boat as you but single father of 4 here. Lol . My alternator caught fire yesterday on my 2002 VY HSV clubsport, im assuming its my wiring lome from the battery to the alter is the problem, 2nd one ive had to replace now. I do have amp and aftermarket stero running aswell. Appreciate the info as im always willing to learn more from other people who know whats what... thankyou in advance.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Hi Mate
VY BudgetBuilder hasn’t been on the forum since Mar 2016. When you say the altrrmator caught dire are you referring to the alternator itself or the wiring? The fuses are there to protect the wiring and, in theory, should blow before the wiring lets the smoke out.
The alternator only produces so much power so if the amp and head unit were causing problems related to power draw it would have happened much earlier. I expect you are looking at a cane shorted to earth or failed windings in the armature of the alternator.

HSVHessy83

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Vy Holden Commodore HSV Clubsport
Hi Mate
VY BudgetBuilder hasn’t been on the forum since Mar 2016. When you say the altrrmator caught dire are you referring to the alternator itself or the wiring? The fuses are there to protect the wiring and, in theory, should blow before the wiring lets the smoke out.
The alternator only produces so much power so if the amp and head unit were causing problems related to power draw it would have happened much earlier. I expect you are looking at a cane shorted to earth or failed windings in the armature of the alternator.
Yeh my stero does cut out at times and what not, but you are right, the smoke/fire it came from the plug/wiring there sorta area, not sure even if its a common thing for the alternator to bug out but its the 3rd one ive gone through since owning it

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I had an alternator start smoking on my VP. Ripped the negative off the battery.

Someone on here suggested it may have been the build up of dust from the brushes arcing?

I was lucky and just had smoke, no flame. Pheww.