Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy Calias Radiator Leaking

Aryashahin

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Calais supercharged V6
Hi guys,

I have an issue with my VY Calias. When the engine goes cold, coolant leaks out. (Big Puddle in Garage).

Is it possible that this is a hole ? :wax:

If so, where would my best bet be to get this fixed up.

Genesis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E Station Wagon
Is this after the car has been sitting in the garage for a period of time, or is it something that occurs after you've been out driving?

If it's something that occurs after you've been driving, it could simply be from the air conditioner.

I'm just not sure how coolant would leak out only after the engine is cold, because it's usually under pressure (when hot) that liquids tend to spray, leak or overflow.

kave1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series 2 v8 berlina
Hi guys,

I have an issue with my VY Calias. When the engine goes cold, coolant leaks out. (Big Puddle in Garage).

Is it possible that this is a hole ? :wax:

If so, where would my best bet be to get this fixed up.
Check for coolant stains around your water pump.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
A few simple checks first

There are a couple of simple checks you can do to determine the source of the water.

1. Leave the car parked overnight as you normally would. Before driving off next day, look to see where the water is sitting in relation to the car. Is it under the radiator, or further back around the transmission? Up front could be a rad leak, further back will be the air con>
2. Do you have coolant in your cooling system or only plain water? If you have coolant, what colour is the water on the floor - same colour as your coolant, or clear?
3. Do you have to keep topping up your header tank?
4. If all evidence points towards a coolant leak, check all hoses, particularly heater hoses where they join the water pump, the pipes through the bulkhead and other connection points. Hoses that are swollen and soft immediately adjacent to the connection points are weak and possible leak points. They could also be about to burst. If swollen. cracked or even hard and resistant to squeezing, replace them. Some hoses become hardened with age internally and lose their pliability. When you squeeze them you can feel the hardened core of the hose breaking up.

If none of these checks eliminate your problem, then the water pump is the next possibility. There is a weep hole under the bearing behind the pulley, which permits water to drain when the impeller bearing seal has failed. Once you start to get leaks from here, it's time for a new pump as the bearing will kark it before long.

Finally, if all else fails, have your system pressure tested to see where the leak is.

Good luck - hope its one of the easy ones.

Regards

pj

Aryashahin

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Calais supercharged V6
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. This problem occurs drive home from work and leave it in the garage. However, it occurs sometimes when while driving.

Hi VY II Berlina, thanks for the help.

1. Leave the car parked overnight as you normally would. Before driving off next day, look to see where the water is sitting in relation to the car. Is it under the radiator, or further back around the transmission? Up front could be a rad leak, further back will be the air con.

Up front.

2. Do you have coolant in your cooling system or only plain water? If you have coolant, what colour is the water on the floor - same colour as your coolant, or clear?

Coolant, it leaks a greenish color, same as the coolant color.

3. Do you have to keep topping up your header tank?

Almost every night, as it disssapears.

I'll check the hoses, but they seem to be fine and soft. I'll take a few pics but it all seems ok, I will keep checking. I'll have a look at the water pump.

I did however, recently have the car pressure tested via insurance about a month ago, all was fine so it's a very recent problem.

Photos:

image4cj8.jpg

Last edited:

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Could be water pump, as water is dripping from somewhere and may be splashing off the belt. Best idea is to clean and degrease off all white stuff, take for a spin and look where it comes from.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
you should keep washing the coolant off your paint because coolant is made from same chemicals as brake fluid (glycol) and we know want brake fluid does to paint, because coolant does damage paint