Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY clunk from rear

younglion

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY SS Ute 5.7
Hey guys just bought a vy and when i go over any form of speed bump or bumps i get a clunk coming from the back, i had the similair thing with my vt and it ended up being sway bar link pins rubber housing or something. The mechanic said it was common in the VT is the VY just as prone to that or would it be something else??

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
if its a series 1 its still got bushes on the top of the stabilizer bar... series 2 got the ball joints tops and bottom

check your rear shocker bushes cos they can sometimes be squashed and cause a knocking sound, could also be your exhaust has shifted towards the tailshaft from a stretched mount or something similar...

younglion

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY SS Ute 5.7
thanks mate will check when it cools down outside, bloody summer

younglion

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY SS Ute 5.7
its definatley only when i go over a bump at speed, shockies maybe? springs? i couldnt see anything unusual under there. its only got 17's and is only lowered with lows not superlows.

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
yeh iv got a simmilar noise from the rear in my srz1 vy ss, couldn't see anything broken or worn underneath, i'm thinking rear shocker with mine, its on the l/h/r, was thinking a wheel bearing, but i'm pritty sure mines a shocker, just saveing up my money to put lowered suspension in it all round, start of the year bad time with b'days and rego etc, so middle of the year will lower it, change the suspension bushes in the rear and see what happens, hopefully all good then.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
its definatley only when i go over a bump at speed, shockies maybe? springs? i couldnt see anything unusual under there. its only got 17's and is only lowered with lows not superlows.

Has your car been up on a hoist lately? Sometimes when the weight is off your rear wheels / suspension and you've got lowered springs, the spring can pop out of place, causing weird noises from the rear.

It happened to me a while ago after getting mine serviced at Holden. It's a simple 2 minute fix. Just a thought anyway - worth checking out...

wwilde

Reaction score
Members Ride
Daily: VE S2 SV6, Toy: Subaru BRZ
Yeah I had a knock recently, check your bottom shocker bolts, my left side was tight but not tight enough & obviously stilll allowed for some movement.

all good now:)