Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy Commodore - keep or sell?

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
It's a odd welch plug, looks something like this,
iu
Rear main seal plate then, same as the LS has.

Crunchy Granola

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz commodore,77 Charger,Cagiva Raptor 1000
Hi,
I bought a 2003 V6 VY Commodore 25th anniversary edition about 4-5 months ago (200k kms now 210k kms). It drives well (previous owner put new brakes on it) - only issue was that it was overheating due to a radiator leak. Mechanic replaced the water pump and the leak stopped.

After a few months it overheated again, looks like there is another radiator leak (a few drops of radiator fluid on the pavement every morning after it's rested). It must've been leaking for months.

The mechanic is saying that this leak is between the motor and the gearbox - and will cost between 500-1000$ to fix. I've only just put 6 mo rego on it.

Just wanted to ask whether you think it's worth it and how long these cars last.

Thanks
Get a change over motor. You probably cooked it. The most common way engines are damaged is by overheating. When you see that car in front of you blowing smoke it's probably been overheated and you don't want your car to be one of them.

jn24j3n24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commdore
Get a change over motor. You probably cooked it. The most common way engines are damaged is by overheating. When you see that car in front of you blowing smoke it's probably been overheated and you don't want your car to be one of them.
I drove it yesterday 80km and didn't notice any difference - not blowing smoke or anything. It's only leaking literally 2 drops of green coolant on the pavement when i check every morning at the moment.

When i got the overheating warning on 4 occasions between the first time (water pump replaced) and the issue now - i got the high temp message on the dash and the gauge was on H however it dropped back down to normal temp fairly quickly.

Is there a general test i could ask for to get an idea of the engine health before getting the work done? Block test?
Thanks

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I drove it yesterday 80km and didn't notice any difference - not blowing smoke or anything. It's only leaking literally 2 drops of green coolant on the pavement when i check every morning at the moment.

When i got the overheating warning on 4 occasions between the first time (water pump replaced) and the issue now - i got the high temp message on the dash and the gauge was on H however it dropped back down to normal temp fairly quickly.

Is there a general test i could ask for to get an idea of the engine health before getting the work done? Block test?
Thanks

Seriously doubt you'd have an issue with the motor......

Damage generally occurs when it has been run hot for a period of time...Not the short period you're referring to

Crunchy Granola

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz commodore,77 Charger,Cagiva Raptor 1000
Seriously doubt you'd have an issue with the motor......

Damage generally occurs when it has been run hot for a period of time...Not the short period you're referring to
Ok, now I know my next statement may ignite the wrath of many responses. However, have you tried some radiator repair goop ?. It will only cost you 15 bucks or so, you got nothing to lose. I damaged a motorcycle radiator in a accident once and used head gasket repair additive and it actually worked (following the instructions carefully). I was going to replace the radiator eventually but ended up forgetting about it and I sold the bike a year or so later.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
There was mention of water being on the pavement after the radiator was replaced.....The mechanic is saying it is coming inbetween the motor and gearbox.... :)
What l was referring to, when temp was rising (near h) then coming back down is a sign that there is air in the system. Also that can be a sign of a leak too?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
What l was referring to, when temp was rising (near h) then coming back down is a sign that there is air in the system. Also that can be a sign of a leak too?

Excellent point

boombaby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT ii
I agree with Lex in #17 (as an early diagnosis), and #26 (as a repeat).

Would also like to add (as an additional check-point), have you checked the quality of the radiator cap too?