Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Commodore V6 New Front Crank Seal Dramas - CAS?

ReaperManVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Commodore Wagon With 5 speed W58 and Triple SUs
Hi fellas,
Really in need of some advice here. We're recently purchased a VY II V6 Sedan and had a rather bad leak from the Front Oil Seal from the crank. After a ridiculous amount of effort with a 'Y' shaped balancer removal tool I'd finally got the thing off, replaced the seal and bolted the balancer back. Also had to make a basic tool which was essentially a steel bar with a couple of lugs to hold the balancer in place while I torqued the balancer bolt back up.

While I was trying to remove the balancer, it had actually snapped one of the bolts, so had to put a tack of weld the bolt to the balancer itself.

Upon starting the damn thing up, it's running rough as guts, and is pinging its head off while driving, and at a stand still it's pinging under throttle...

First of all (As I've got little understanding with CAS), is it likely the tack weld with the bolt affected the sensor somehow??

Also, the battery was removed on both terminals before welding just out of safety..

Any ideas on what is going on here guys and how to get it sorted?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Did you remove the tack weld and the bolt before you started it? If not the balancer will be drastically out of balance and will cause all sorts of problems.

ReaperManVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
Did you remove the tack weld and the bolt before you started it? If not the balancer will be drastically out of balance and will cause all sorts of problems.

Yes, As that busted bolt (1/4 - UNC) had broke where it threads into the balancer I had to remove the thread from the back end of the balancer with a small pair of pliers after I'd finally got the balancer removed. And and yes, I'd carefully ground off the tack weld with a flap disc sanding attachment with the grinder before re-fitting.

I'm just wondering whether the electricity from the welder would somehow effect the sensor or something being magnetic I think?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The old idea of disconnecting the battery is a wank. The earth on a welder will generally travel the shortest circuit it can. The issue with mig and arc on a car is potential damage to the PCM. Disconnecting the battery does little in this case. The CAS is a funny thing, i had a strand of belt winding wrapped around my balancer and it missed until i removed it. I wonder if this affected the CAS because a year on it failed.

ReaperManVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
The old idea of disconnecting the battery is a wank. The earth on a welder will generally travel the shortest circuit it can. The issue with mig and arc on a car is potential damage to the PCM. Disconnecting the battery does little in this case. The CAS is a funny thing, i had a strand of belt winding wrapped around my balancer and it missed until i removed it. I wonder if this affected the CAS because a year on it failed.

It's amazing how sensitive they really are.

Well, I hope the PCM is ok. I guess I'll soon find out. I did buy a new Crank Angle Sensor this arvo, and I'll pull the balancer back off tomorrow and go from there. really hoping to get this sorted, otherwise it's a parts car for the other dying commodore...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I supplied a CAS and seal and had it fitted by a workshop and he charged me 50 bucks labor. I don't own the $150 tool and my balancer can not be taken of without the proper tool. Might be worth dropping it off, if you don't have the right tool but up to you.

ReaperManVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
I supplied a CAS and seal and had it fitted by a workshop and he charged me 50 bucks labor. I don't own the $150 tool and my balancer can not be taken of without the proper tool. Might be worth dropping it off, if you don't have the right tool but up to you.

That's actually bloody quite cheap! The quotes I have got here have been literally 4 fold, hence the main reason I'd done this myself... And the removal tool for this type is the same old tool they use for stull like old holden 202's etc. They're around $20-$30 on ebay. The hard thing here is finding 1/4-UNF long bolts. Useless hardware store doesn't stock them and can't get them, and the local nuts n bolts shop had shut down :(, so have to bloody literally order the things by snail mail unfortunately...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I thought the VY needed the same tool as VN - VT? Which is that $150 one.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute