Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Ecotec Using Oil

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Hey guys, posting this up for a mate.

"I bought a vy ecotec series 2 v6 last year. It had only just done 68,000km and always was serviced at the local holden dealer. I serviced it at 70,000 and use Mobil 2000 10/40 semi syn and within 3000 Kms I had used over 1.5 litres of oil. I thought I may had bought a dodgy batch. I then tried magnatec 10/40, same thing. So I thought I may have a slight rocker cover leak, so I replaced both gaskets, and rocker cover bolt seals. Tried penrite hpr fully syn 10/50, happened again. There are no oils leaks anywhere, rear main, timing cover etc. Plugged it into a mechanics expensive tech 2 and it said everything was hunky dory. I am not blowing any smoke blue or white. Does anyone think this could be rings or valve stem seals???? I've owned a few ecotecs and never had a oil thirsty v6 like this before........any advice?"

Cheers,

MRNICK

LS1 LOVE
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenowners.com
Members Ride
VYII SS UTE
Opened the radiator cap and checked there? Oil in the radiator can indicate one of two things:

a) intake manifold gaskets
b) something more serious

Being that it is an ecotec, I'd be looking at the intake manifold gaskets if you do find a sludgy, oily substance underneath the radiator cap.

Happymonaro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 25th Anniversary S2 V6 2003
Car going like new, no oil in coolant, underneath cap is clean, I'm the guy who this post is about :) am a newb to these forums, sorry

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Some of that will just be normal Ecotec usage, beyond this it could be the PCV valve. Mine started using 750-1000ml between 7500k services, drove me nuts, couldn't find anything wrong. Found the issue when I installed the manifold insulator. It wasn't enough at a time to cause any issues with driveability/performance so if it wasn't for the insulator I'd never have known. Easy to check, pop the plenum cover off and run your finger over the bottom RHS. If there's a coat of oil, PCV valve is probably letting more than gas through.

Happymonaro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 25th Anniversary S2 V6 2003
Could it be a glazed bore, possibly piston rings???? Thanks pollushon and mr nick. Thank you to scvsv6 for getting me started here :beer chug:

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I reckon you'd see tell-tale signs out the exhaust if it were a ring issue with 1.5L over 3k. Not impossible but certainly not common on an Eco.