Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY II Splits Install

V

-VY LoVeR-

Hey guys

Gonna have a go at installing a set of type r splits in my commy. Not sure about the wiring though since ill have the wires from the mid already in but also have wires from the stock tweeters and have to run wires from the crossover as well, bit confused.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram or could someone draw up one, nothing too technical just so i got an idea. Even a good explanation would help.

Cheers

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
im about to wire up splits aswell in the next few days and i am going to run a seperate wire for the tweeters, instead of using the stock wiring, would be easier to wire up to the crossovers, but i am using wires that are conencted to the speaker wires on the back of the factory H/U for the midwoofers because i use the factory wiring in the doors

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
Best way is to tap into the factory wiring to the woofer in the door, run that cable straight to the crossover that came with the type r speakers, then run additional wiring from the crossover to the tweeters, and the crossover to the new woofers in the doors,

I'll post up a wiring diagram to help explain when I'm on the computer in the morning cos I'm on my iPhone at the moment and there's no decent pics on the net

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
i drew up a quick wiring diagram on paint to help you out, if you look in a sticky at the top of this section, there is a list of factory wiring colours for the H/U, ive tried to show that in my drawing, with the positive and negative (+ -) in their colours from the H/U

SplitsW9fagxclal.png

i hope that helps you out

also on a side note, these speakers will sound better than stock, but not be using their full potential because the H/U wont put out enough power

if you want to use these speakers to their full potential, let us know and we can try and source a amp that will suit your budget that meets your needs

however if your happy with how they sound powered by the H/U, then thats all that matters

V

-VY LoVeR-

Thanks for that mate deffs helped. i was just wondering isnt there factory wiring for the stock tweeter? i wouldnt want to just leave it there.

Yes i have realised that they wont sound as good theyre 110w but h/u only 50w output so itll do for now but im looking into getting an amp for around the 3-400 mark if possible, needs to be at least 110w output, any suggestions?

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
1. factory tweeter wiring is in the body loom, just leave it there.
2. You have quoted max power ratings, these aren't accurate, you need to quote RMS power ratings (for example, headunit probably puts out around 12 - 16wrms). For a basic system 50wrms per channel for the front speakers will be a huge improvement over a headunit.

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
4ch jaycar response amp puts out 100wrms per channel, I have one of these and it's great, also only $300

V

-VY LoVeR-

Got em in, 5 hours of shouting and swearing but it was free that way lol.

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
How do they sound mate? Was the wiring diagram able to help?

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Got em in, 5 hours of shouting and swearing but it was free that way lol.

Good on you mate!! 5 hours isn't bad, my front stage took about 47 hours to install :p