Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Oil usage

blowera1

FranticTicToc2
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Ute 3.8l M5
Hey,

I have a VY S Ute 5sp man and it uses oil. Its been about 6300km since my last oil change and I've topped up with around 4.5L of oil. Every now and then i'll get a hit of smoke from the exhaust on start up also.
Its had this problem for a few years but its steadily getting worse. When it was still under warranty Holden changed the Valve Stem Seals (took about 6 months of repeatedly taking the car in to finally get them to do it) but it didn't fix the problem.
I'm currently using Castrol Magnatec 10W40 which seems to have the least consumption out of everything I've tried so far. I've used 10, 15 and 20W oils and have also tried oil stabilizer but there's little to no difference. The only other thing i was going to try on the next service was a full synthetic oil (i was thinking Penrite 15W50).
Any thoughts on causes and advise would be appreciated.

Cheers,

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
Worn Pistion rings or valve seals, could be possible causes.

Greasy Hands

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
YV II Acclaim, non daily.
I would say valve guides if its on start up - new valve seals will temporarily hide screwed valve guides. I would do a leak down test to see if its top or bottom end.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Does the ute run ok? Not down on power?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The recommended oil for the ecotec is a 20W-50 oil, or a 15W-40 oil when the vehicle is used in snowy or otherwise extremely cold areas.. Ive seen a few of these ecotecs use a certain amount of oil when first filled up at service time, and then once the oil level has gone down a bit, ( probably around 1 cm or more below the full line on the dipstick), it stays there and doesnt drop any more..

blowera1

FranticTicToc2
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Ute 3.8l M5
yeah running fine apart from the oil

blowera1

FranticTicToc2
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Ute 3.8l M5
comin up on 140000km

blowera1

FranticTicToc2
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Ute 3.8l M5
I would say valve guides if its on start up - new valve seals will temporarily hide screwed valve guides. I would do a leak down test to see if its top or bottom end.
Yeah a mate of mine has suggested that also