Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY SS clutch possbily gone? Need help please!

trav27

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore
Hey guys, just after some ideas/thoughts.

Ive got a VY SS M6, on the way home from work this arvo i heard a snapping sort of sound then the gear disengaged & i couldn't get it back into gear, none would work. The clutch was springy & would push down to the floor. Although when i turned the car off, i could get it into either 1st or 2nd, but as soon as the revs dropped it would stall (which is how i got it back home)

Lastly, i was told by the previous owner that it has a HD clutch. And i don't do burn outs or mistreat her. So i don't know how a HD clutch could go like that, but before i get it towed to mechanic, i would just like some thoughts or opinions. I don't want to get ripped off! haha.
Thank you

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
the clutch could get 1st and second .but will stall ..

something in the gear slection / the pressure plate diaphrams can weaken

clutch is not releasing properly at this time

Last edited:

ConstantVelocity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII SS M6
Broken pressure plate probably. Could also have a fluid leak (check the reservior under bonnet) but the snapping sound suggests the pressure plate is busted.

Heavy duty aftermarket clutches can handle more torque but quality can be hit and miss, after all they don't have to warrenty things for as long as OEMs. The LS7 clutch is a good option, you could even get away with a stock LS1 clutch, but they're not very strong. Mine is still going at 225,000 km but slips a bit on hard changes. Lots of guys in teh states run and like the LS7 clutch with quite a bit more power than stock. Textralia ones are popular here but overkill for a mostly stock daily driver IMO.

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
The only thing I can think of without having to dissect it anyways is master cylinder crapped out and resulted in shock loading the clutch , essentially as if you just dropped the clutch, I'm hopeful for you that that's what it is but I doubt it as you said you were still able to operate the clutch, sounds like box off and new clutch time ...

You could always remove the inspection cover and have a squiz before you go taking the gearbox off?

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
Could even be the spring on the slave cyl snapped, seen a few of those snapped across the interwebs.

Could be anything honestly and you wont know until the box is out, clutch, flywheel, the box internals itself etc.

well most mechanics charge about 3k to change a clutch on the T56 since they hate doing them.

Your looking at about $1200 for a clutch and flywheel if you want aftermarket, or if its a fairly stock car, just grab a LS7 clutch and flywheel of holmart, buy em yourself cause mechanic will rape you with his margin, except i cant find the flywheel to suit the ls1 on their site now they must be out of them,

Make life easier and order a malwood remote bleeder for $150 or so, will make the mechanic hate you less and probably charge you less, because its a #### trying to bleed a T56 without one, **** goes everywhere.

VY & VZ TREMEC 6 SPEED SLAVE CYLINDER

(New Genuine) VE HSV 427 LS7, CLUTCH & PRESSURE PLATE

and find a new stock flywheel.

Nevermind found CI stuff.

Clutch KIT Flywheel FOR Holden Monaro CV8 V2 VZ 5 7L LS1 GEN 3 V8 01 05 | eBay

VY & VZ TREMEC 6 SPEED SLAVE CYLINDER

Sorted.

and for the love of god, dont bother with excedy or xtreme.

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
what's wrong with exedy dirb? I usually hear good things about them, they no good?

they have good advertisement thats why people think they are good, everyone i know who has installed them has turfed em cause they are crap.

I know most of the Winton Drift guys have swapped to Clutch Industries because they are more reliable and last longer in their drift pigs.

trav27

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore
Thanks for the replies everyone! I've been reading similar story's online, and it seems that the master or slave cylinder is fairly common. How much would that cost roughly?

But I'm yet to get it towed to a mechanic to get it all checked out. As for the snapping sound, I'm starting to wonder if that was simply the sound of it getting thrown out of gear back to neutral. But I'm not too sure myself, it all happen pretty fast lol.