Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY SV8 - A Few Problems

EdPreece

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY SV8
G'day everyone,

My SV8 cut out on me a few weeks back. Driving along on my way to work about an hour from home, just started jerking and spluttering like it had no fuel...Eventually engine cuts out and I roll it to a stop. The boss helped me tow it onto his farm and it's been sitting there.

The other day I finally had the money and time to go out to where it died and chuck it on a trailer to bring it home. Me and a mate had a go at seeing what the problem is, but haven't got to the bottom of it yet. It's cranking but won't start.

Fuel pump is still working, and we took the end cap off the fuel rail and plenty of fuel is sitting there so we ruled that out. Next we checked the spark plugs and sure enough none of them have any spark at all.

My mates suggestion was crank angle sensor. So I picked a new one up and have it ready to go in, but am lost as to where the bloody thing actually goes. People have told me it's behind the starter motor, but I'm no mechanic and not sure where exactly the starter motor is...

I've got it up on stands at the moment and got underneath for a look but still can't spot it. Can someone please explain exactly where I'll find it?

I've heard replacing the sensor is a 'piece of piss', but coming from someone with not a huge amount of mechanical knowledge, will it be a struggle? What tools will I need to do the job?
I've scoured google and this forum but can't find anything on replacing the sensor on an LS1, can only seem to find threads on V6's.

Any help will be massively appreciated. I've been driving around in a piss weak little pulsar and I'm over it. I need my V8 back on the road!

TIA

Z3RO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8
It's near the starter motor.

It's held in place by a 10mm bolt. Unplug the sensor wire, undo the bolt and slide the long sensor out.

The starter motor is under the header on the driver side against the gearbox.

EdPreece

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY SV8
Righto so I've located the motor and what looks like the plug...but it's in a bastard of a spot. What's the best way to reach it? From underneath or going from the top? Would it be worth un-attaching the headers for a clear passage to the spot or is there an easier way?