Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY tailshaft question.

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens
How are you removing the centre bearing? The hammer method will ruin your uni. Best to take it to a balancing shop and have them do the. work. A new member used the hammer method recently and now has problems. I suspect he has wrecked the uni as he did the YouTube hammer and chisel way.
The centre bearing removal and splitting the shaft apart, with care and patience you should not have any issues or balance problems unless you had balance issue before or split rubber donuts or driveline issues.

I have done a few centre bearings and donuts replacements and not had any balancing issue, removing the twin exhaust was propably the hardest thing to think about.

Sounds like the other rough gorilla member bashed the shaft too hard with the wrong tools and jammed/broke the spring clip or didn”t phase the 2 shaft pieces together, or worse still bashed shaft so hard the balance weights fell of which causes balance issues.

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens
Was that going into a VY 6 cyl 4sp auto?
It seems that the manual, 5 sp auto and v8 variants are rebuildable.
Further to all this, it appears that different tailshafts were used in sedans, wagons, utes, 1 tonners etc.
I've phoned around to driveline shops (Coffs, Newcastle& Sydney) and the story is the same: about cutting off/replacing yokes, replacing unis, rebalancing etc which is upwards of $1100. They are all saying that it's cheaper just to replace the shaft. (Then take to the old shaft with a cut off wheel and have 2 good cheater bars!)
Tailshafts go with chassis length, sedans are slightly shorter to the longer same length ute/wagon.

You don't need to cut yokes or uni's or need a balance just to change a supporting centre bearing, its quite a simple procedure.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Well I trust the information and advice given to me by the blokes who end up having to replace the unis on these type shafts after people have damaged the needle bearings from using the hammer method and not what I see on YouTube or posted on JC....

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens
Well I trust the information and advice given to me by the blokes who end up having to replace the unis on these type shafts after people have damaged the needle bearings from using the hammer method and not what I see on YouTube or posted on JC....
Who what blokes ? and what other people use the hammer method ? Name them.
Why do you give people advice on work you have never done yourself and then parrot what others say without knowing if it”s applicable just because its on a forum.

PS. There is only 1 front half universal joint on tailshaft which gets clamped in soft jaws in vice and never gets bashed by hammer to damage any needle bearings so what your saying is incorrect.
The diff end of rear shaft half gets hit by a brass drift to connect it on the spline of front half.

The OP’s VY tailshaft doesn”t have a universal joint at the rear where you use the hammer/brass drift, uni is only on the front middle so maybe your confused when you don”t know what you”re talking about.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Who what blokes ? and what other people use the hammer method ? Name them.
Why do you give people advice on work you have never done yourself and then parrot what others say without knowing if it”s applicable just because its on a forum.

PS. There is only 1 front half universal joint on tailshaft which gets clamped in soft jaws in vice and never gets bashed by hammer to damage any needle bearings so what your saying is incorrect.
The diff end of rear shaft half gets hit by a brass drift to connect it on the spline of front half.

The OP’s VY tailshaft doesn”t have a universal joint at the rear where you use the hammer/brass drift, uni is only on the front middle so maybe your confused when you don”t know what you”re talking about.

I know exactly where the single uni is. If you must know the place I spoke to is Dynamic Balancing. They know a lot more than you ever will and have replaced heaps of unis on these types of tailshafts, because of people doing it the wrong way doing exactly what you do. So go ahead tell people how to damage their uni. I tell people how not too. At the end of the day it's not my money so if people listen to you and damage the uni and end up having to get a new one fitted then so be it. As for me I do things the right way.

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens
I know exactly where the single uni is. If you must know the place I spoke to is Dynamic Balancing. They know a lot more than you ever will and have replaced heaps of unis on these types of tailshafts, because of people doing it the wrong way doing exactly what you do. So go ahead tell people how to damage their uni. I tell people how not too. At the end of the day it's not my money so if people listen to you and damage the uni and end up having to get a new one fitted then so be it. As for me I do things the right way.
Ahh Slosh you got to be a likeable oldie like a box of chocolates.
Most workshops/mechanics do the cb tailshaft replacement the way its been engineered that way to come apart for c/b repair without damaging any unis, and then sent out to spin up if wanting to get check the factory spec for harmonics at certain rpm.
Every heard of proper brass drift/soft jaws?? It”s not a cold chisel or an angle grinder blade which should not be used on bearings especially rear hub bearings so not to cut spline and damage hub.
Sounds like you have been there done that yeah man, ouch costly mistake.
That”s right you always do the right cheap thing living in a glass house.

Yes I do recall Dynamic Balancing, didn”t you pay $680 to replace just the simple VE c/b and donuts which didn”t fix your bad vibration issue which they couldn”t diagnose in the first place to be a rear hub bearing not just a cracked rubber in the tailshaft centre bearing. Hope you got expensive discount vouchers for mentioning them online

That's the next step. I will start with the one that was loose a while ago. I'm not really wanting to touch it myself is all. Feeling quite deflated about the whole thing. It was $688 spent today and it didn't fix the problem. Until today I haven't driven the ute since Saturady as I was concerned about major failure.
Now I don't really want to drive it until it's to get it to a place of repair. Don't know where to take it? Too many qualified people are making mistakes. Starting to feel like I'm back to when I had no one I could trust to work on my vehicles at fear of them not doing it right or giving me the run around. This hub bearing should have been replaced that week, not told to see how it goes after tightening the nut and not worry about it..... Need to be able to trust trained people to give you the right advice not make errors that cost me money.

Interesting comments you made ^^^^ in your Brian/Taylor post. Yep you do things the right way and then criticise people and blame professionals who do. Sounds like Scrooge McSlosh telling porkies again :p