Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY V6 Radiator Flush

johnmw1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Lumina
Hi,
Was about to buy some green Nulon 100% concentrate when the sales guy jumped in and recommended the red.

Is it a good recommendation or not really necessary considering it's half as much again compared to the green?

Will be doing a complete flush of the system.

Also Haynes or Gregorys manual as the sales help were clueless?

Cheers,
John

JoshlikesCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z
Green for v6 red for ls1, hes just trying to get a sale!
Get the green stuff, its what comes in them from factory. Not worth it and not even sure if its compatible :)

johnmw1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Lumina
Hi Josh,
Yeah it's what I ended up getting. The red it seems is more suited to the alloy engines which of course the vy is, but back in the day red was probably not thought of?
I also got the Gregorys manual as the Haynes was not in stock.

Cheers
John

JoshlikesCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z
There is no benefit though? why get the pricier one when you don't need it.......

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Ecotec = Green. Alloytec = Red. They do have a multi range long life option available now to which I believe is pink. Either way green is fine.

johnmw1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Lumina
Hi Guys,

Yes I decided to stick with the green and I will be doing the flush today.

As for the Gregorys manual, very disappointing indeed, I didn't know that its actually associated with Haynes. They are not like the last Gregorys that I owned which was a lot more thorough in instructions and images. For instance in this latest Gregorys it neglects to tell you the most important step to begin with in getting to the end of the top radiator hose where it connects to the motor. In other words removing the top cover from the motor. If I had not read that elsewhere I would still be looking...............

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Not sure if they would have revised the VY workshop manual in the last ten years or if that means the original one was rubbish and still is..
You could try looking at the local markets you might find an older better one there.

johnmw1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Lumina
Not sure if they would have revised the VY workshop manual in the last ten years or if that means the original one was rubbish and still is..
You could try looking at the local markets you might find an older better one there.
The funny thing is I just subscribed to Haynes for a week to see if their publication was any different or had more information, and guess what it's exactly the same except for the images you click on which are in colour.
Cheers
John