Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Alloytec 175 2 Hole mod

Poves_89

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ 175kw V6 Ute
Just wanted to know, whether cutting the longer piece of 90mm pipe on a 45 degree angle so it can sit closer to headlights.

monochrome

Yeah.....what?
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ acclaim
ive had this on my car for a while now. cant hear it over the exhaust, but there is a feeling of being sucked forward once you hit 3000 rpm

vzh00n

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz executive 04
Im definately impressed, as Ive said, and good to read so are others!

I never knew an Alloytec could create a growling noise at low revs and for so cheap. Still sounds awesome taking off from a set of lights :yeah:

doy ou guys run K+N filters or just the standard paper ones? just curious :whistling

u just said it doesnt make a noise at low revs, now u say it does, MAKE UR MIND UP MATE!

frank6969

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ executive
I have done this mod, did notice power increse around 3500 rpm and when planted from 2 nd to 3 rd I get a nice noise from my intake sounds like a turbo gets good laughs

mattyr82

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 colorado diesel 4wd automatic. 2010 mazda 3
would this mod be ok for vz wagon on duel fuel, lpg

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
I'd highly recommend one of those Monaro shrouds to go with the 2 hole mods. I never got around to buying one but I made something similar that goes as high up as that hot aircon steal pipe that sits beside the area to block any hot air from getting in via the engine side of the airbox area.

I found it's kept intake temps down a few degree's more.

vz 914

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE HSV GTS , VZ UTE, VL GROUP A
Most people that have done this mod including myself have reported a slight improvement with fuel economy , is this because of the extra air creating a better fuel/air mix and therefore better bang??
Are we creating a lean burn in the engine ??
With the extra hole and MCAI your getting more air but this would be limited to a max amount of what the paper air cleaner element would flow??
Any help answering some of these questions greatly appreciated.

BullittSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore SV6
Most people that have done this mod including myself have reported a slight improvement with fuel economy , is this because of the extra air creating a better fuel/air mix and therefore better bang??
Are we creating a lean burn in the engine ??
With the extra hole and MCAI your getting more air but this would be limited to a max amount of what the paper air cleaner element would flow??
Any help answering some of these questions greatly appreciated.

I know that Alloytec like most engines are tuned from factory to run rich, as it creates a cooler, less powerful explosion which reduces wear on engine components.

If fuel injection was solely based on the throttle position then a leaner burn would be created, as you add more air with the same amount of fuel. However, I suspect that by using the MAF sensor, the fuel injection system would compensate for any increased amount of air by injecting more fuel than before, to keep the rich air fuel ratio.

Having said that, when you add more air, engines, which are essentially air pumps, require less effort to do work than before. I suspect this is where the fuel savings come from. Of course if you change the tune to run the perfect air fuel ratio of 14.7:1, then your fuel savings increase further.

Perfect example of this was when Top Gear made a Prius try and set a fastest time on their track and a BMW (either M3 or M5) followed, but didn't overtake. Prius used more fuel than the BMW because the BMW used less fuel to do the same amount of work as the Prius, due to having (a lot!) more power.

Adding the MCAI and 2 hole mod basically changes the bottleneck. Your filter might now be the bottleneck but if you upgrade the filter you allow more air to flow.