Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Alloytec manufacturer faults handy hints

newvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ sv6
some of you guys are saying the timing chain makes a rattle on cold start... could some of you please describe what it sounds like... i have a vz sv6 on 85,000 k's and first start of the day it makes a rattle / metal tingy sound for about 2 - 4 seconds and then goes away... if you turn the car of straight away and start it again you do not here the sound... its only on first start of the day!!
]

i have the same problem goes away after about 2 seconds for me

surfmore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina Wagon
Cold start on an alloy engine, lean mixture to comply with emissions (high rpm) = rattle, a lot of modern (alloy) engines suffer from cold start rattle...

Just about to replace a water pump at 70k myself! At least they are reasonably priced...

NAVZCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais 3.6, 1980 WB Tonner
Also with the timing chain until oil pressure builds up (which isn't that long) it will make a 'rattling' sound. I know my calais does it and it is nothing to worry about. I have a question that i have mean meaning to ask for those who own alloytec's. When first started up does your idle sit above 1000 RPM? For me personally it seems a bit excessive for a quick warm up. And i get insane amounts of vehicle creep during idle. Any thoughts?

kronich3244

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais Manual, VZ SV6 Manual
yes mine sits at 1100 for about 10 seconds then drops to 900 then goes down to about 600-700

SLIVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ Calais 3.6
another problem they have if not serviced properly is a sludge build up which WILL result in engine failure, it has just happened to my car, came with full service history but after pulling the rocker covers off i beg to differ....
Click to Enlarge

SLIVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ Calais 3.6
its absolutely farkedddd, i bought the car with a full service history, since ive had the car ive serviced it every 7k and then i found that :( atleast i found my big end bearings in my filter :D

Daniel Sammon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II
Just brought stock vx 2 love it. Just drag raced ve off the mark. Easy. Ecotec product of evolution. Alloytech new so gemlims. Probably had to convert for pollution reasons and new car buyers think a new engine is better. Not logical but if I was spending 40k On a car I would probably want a more modern system. Poor luck for used car buyers though. Look at new zb. In 20 years imagine repair bills