Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VE] VZ and VE Alloytec PCV Problem/Fix

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Try a small magnet to see it you can remove the swarf from the bigger hole.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Hey guys, I drilled the pcv out but how to you get rid of the swarf that is inside the valve and still connected to where it was drilled?
I used some throttle body cleaner. You can see into it well enough to see if it’s all out.

You could put the hose nozzle on fine and wash it out, you have to dry it out before you put it back in.

Compressed air. You can get a can of compressed air. You might have a compressor.

Han

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE 3.0 Omega Sportswagon
Hey guys, I drilled the pcv out but how to you get rid of the swarf that is inside the valve and still connected to where it was drill

I used some throttle body cleaner. You can see into it well enough to see if it’s all out.

You could put the hose nozzle on fine and wash it out, you have to dry it out before you put it back in.

Compressed air. You can get a can of compressed air. You might have a compressor.
Friend put on drill press and did those steps about a year ago and worked a treat. As update, got a mechanic to fit it as part of service and no more oil consumption, yet could also be due to switching to from 5W-30 to 15W-40 around same time.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
The PCV system breaths much cleaner,
I have read a few times we’re it increases oil consumption,
We’re as, my LY7 does not use any oil between services,
(the 5 I have done, as I am still in the process of 5,000 k/s oil changes between services to thin the gunk out of the crankcase to clean it up, and it seems to be working)
Because the crankcase is also under constant vacuum, it doesn’t leak any oil either.
Where the PCV mod and making sure the PCV plumbing is clean, does the job it’s designed to do, and work well.

Last edited:

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
I have noticed ever since performing the PCV mods & clean there is a distinct smell of oil in the exhaust gases when the engine is heated up.
The engine doesn't consume any more oil than it did before the mod and the intake ducting stays dry.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
i pulled the pcv out couple of days ago to check it after 3 years and all clear but i still gave it a hit with brake cleaner and compress air to make sure

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The PCV system breaths much cleaner,
I have read a few times we’re it increases oil consumption,
We’re as, my LY7 does not use any oil between services,
(the 5 I have done, as I am still in the process of 5,000 k/s oil changes between services to thin the gunk out of the crankcase to clean it up, and it seems to be working)
Because the crankcase is also under constant vacuum, it doesn’t leak any oil either.
We’re the PCV mod and making sure the the PCV plumbing is clean, does the job it’s designed to do, and work well.
Good point @krusing. I’ve heard that as well.
It occurs when internet whispers go round and someone says you drill them out. Then all the detail is lost and random hole sizes are drilled resulting in a botched job and lots of oil because the valve no longer works as a Tesla valve.

The hole sizes outlined are important.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
all the detail is lost and random hole sizes are drilled resulting in a botched job and lots of oil because the valve no longer works as a Tesla valve.
Never studied the Tesla valve so not really across how it works. Supposedly there is a greater pressure drop across the valve with gas flow in one direction as compared to the other direction.

But i can’t see how the PCV valve in the V6 behave like a Tesla valve as such. Maybe I need a coffee… It seems more like a simple orifice valve (though odd it has two holes in one end).

Does anyone have an explanation of how this GM PCV valve & PCV system works as I’m curious and a quick google yielded nothing.