Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VZ] VZ and VE - How to change the oil and filter on your Alloytec. (Detailed pictures)

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I use a cheap oil with a flush before the good stuff . But putting a bit through to flush it seems like a good idea as well , might do that next time .

hrabrim3

Reaction score
Members Ride
ss ve
Hi!
I bought commodore ss ve year 08, v8 engine. Im wondering wich oil i should buy.

thx for help

griffygriff

Reaction score
Members Ride
sv6 ve 2008
Hi Mate,
Great write up.
Kept it on my iPhone for reference n

Ace

Cheers

WhiteWagon2006

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive Wagon LPG
hello fellow Holden drivers.
I'm new here.
I know this thread is a little old but wanted to say thanks for putting the instructions & photos for the oil and filter change together.
I changed the oil in my vz wagon yesterday (Just bought it), after 132,000 kms dual fuel, oil was reasonably clean.
I was scared to death just about after reading some of the porridge like oil stories people have been spouting on this, and many other forums, about how bad the alloytech motor is or was?. Are the motors really that bad? Or is it more of an opinion thing, something like when you buy a red car its amazing how many red cars you suddenly notice are on the road, its not that the quantity of red cars have changed it's just that you have become hyper-vigilant as far as red cars go?
just wondered?
please be gentle with the response i have not had a colon-endoscopy.
Thanks again for the "How2"

Luke52

Reaction score
Members Ride
'07 VZ Acclaim wagon.
I think it's the same rule for any car mate, if you look after it, it'll look after you.

I bought my VZ wagon at 150,000km in October 2010. It was previously a fleet car, done mostly country driving, and been log-book serviced it's whole life. Since I've had the car, I do the at least the oil and filter every 5,000km, and drop an oil flush through it once every 12 months or so, and use a good quality oil. Now at almost 215,000km it's still running like a dream, motor has no issues, and very few or no signs of sludge or build up as far as I can tell.

nitemares

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VZ White Crewman ute.
-A new cartridge oil filter (Ryco R2605P or equivalent, such as a Repco ROF102)
-At least 6.5 litres of new oil for a VZ, and double-check the owners manual for the capacity and specs on a VE. I'm unsure of their capacity, and have been told different things (See posts below.) These Alloytec motors like a thin oil, so I would not recommend using an oil any thicker than a 10w.
-An oil drain pan of AT LEAST 8 litre capacity (I'd recommend a 10 litre one to be safe though)
-15mm socket + extension and ratchet, or 15mm spanner. I'd recommend the ratchet option though, makes it easier and neater, and reduces the risk of burning yourself with the oil.
-24mm socket. I recommend a socket and ratchet here again, purely due to accessibility. Much easier to get a socket onto the filter housing.

Just did the oil and filter change today on my 2007 VZ Crewman alloytech. I found this thread really helpful.....however...the sump plug on mine was 13mm. I took my bike for a ride to the holden dealer and bought a new one with rubber gasket/seal in place. Guess what....it to was 13mm. I suppose that they made different sizes for different models.

I used the rest of this thread as a great guide. The crewman purrs along now. Slipped in an air filter in as well. :)

RotaryKing

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 60th Anniversary Omega
Hey

Just after some final confirmation about a few things.
I am servicing my 2008 VE 60th Anniv Edition Omega.
Few questions...
1. Which side of the sump is the plug located?
2. Will i need to jack the car up to get to it?
3. What size is the sump plug?
4. I am pretty sure, but is the correct volume for oil 6.5L...i dont have the manual in the glove box. And i am using Castrol Magnatec 10w40.

If someone could please clear these things up id be so appreciative.
There is so many peoples different comments on here i am a little confused.

Thanks

Red Centre Bluey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice WN, Caprice VR
Regarding oils to use:

My owners handbook specifies SAE 5w/30 or 10w/30 so anything that is /40 is too thick, and will cause noise

This gel's with other advice that the oil galleries are only small, thicker oils just dont flow fast enough to keep up supply to the bearings etc

Put in that skinny 5w/30 oil and noises etc will go away, even try the super slick 0w/30

I run two WM Caprices commercially, high-output Alloytech V6's and never have an issue.

The engines run on 95 octane Premium, NOT E10, and are known for getting sludgy.

You can use the pre-drain flush additives, or a cup or so of Kerosene, run for 10 mins, drain, refill with 'cheapie' run 10 mins, drain, refill with new good stuff

wombats

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sportswagon anniversary
Thanks to your help here I have just completed my first at home oil change on my ve sports wagon 60th anniversary model. One thing I have notice was that in your run through it showed the oil plug on the front of the sump. I was unable to locate it on the front it is now on the passenger side of the sump. also do you have a similar page for changing the coolant.
thanks this has been a great help