Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ AWD RANGE: Crewman Cross6 is HERE!

dorteerts

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Cross 6 Crewman
Recall

It is a recovery point but u had to pay $450 from the dealer to get the threaded eyelet to go in there and there was a recall a few years back to strengthen the bar as it was too weak i have never taken mine off but ill have a look tonight

You are correct though it only seemed to refer to the Adventra not the Crewman Cross6/8 derivatives. Here is the recall notice:

Holden—VY Adventra
PRA number: 2005/7675
Date created: 29th April 2005

This recall was closed on the 26th August 2010
Product information
Product description
What are the defects?
A possibility exists that the front bumper beam may have insufficient strength when subjected to high towing load 'recovery' techniques(snatch strap) from soft ground such as sand, mud or snow.
Where the product was sold

Nationally

Supplier
Holden
What should consumers do?
Other regulator reference numbers
05-H-02

illlusion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY10
I think I figured it out the adventra had the recovery points the crewmans did Not and the reason they have the hole in the bumper is the same bumper is used across both models

dorteerts

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Cross 6 Crewman
Different Bumpers

I think I figured it out the adventra had the recovery points the crewmans did Not and the reason they have the hole in the bumper is the same bumper is used across both models

That is a logical conclusion however if you look at the photos at post #17 (click to make them bigger) you will see that the bumpers are quite different between the Adventra and the Crewman.

illlusion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY10
I see that now I also have a pic of a cross 6 crewman and it has the same bar as the adventra So now I'm not so Sure

Dave Tanner

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Storm Ute
Yes Guys, It was a recovery point, but after some hundreds of bent front bumper backing plates and chassis rails, Holden recalled all vehicles with this recovery point and replaced the backing plates with blank ones to prevent anyone using the recovery point. It simply was not engineered strong enough. My friend has had a new hole drilled in his backing plate and fitted a special strengthened anchor point, which connects both chassis rails to prevent flexing of front end. So far so good. I have been told that this mod has to be certified, and recorded with insurer, as it can affect air bag operation in an accident, and voids any insurance. Cheers Dave.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Yep. It was too weak. The point is engineered to be used as it would on many European cars. An emergency tow point for it to be loaded onto a flat bed. It was never meant to be used for snatchstrap recoveries.

Under the car there are two large slots in the K-frame that should be used as recovery points in off road use.

Towies will often avoid using factory tow points in favor of getting their gear under the vehicle onto a control arm or similar, when loading onto a flat bed.

As for Crewman having a different bumper, there are 5 types/styles on Cross6 & 8’s and Adventras etc.

There are base model basic bumpers used on low spec Cross6 and Adventra. Look a bit more like those used on a VZ exec.
There are VY Cross6 & 8 bumpers used on Crewman and adventra
There are VZ Cross6 & 8 bumpers used on Crewman and Adventra

There are HSV bumpers used on Avalanche

There are Coupe 4 bumpers used on the AWD Monaro Coupe 4.

All have the recovery hole but it was only early VY that had the threaded hook mount. No point redesigning the whole bumper mould.

Last edited:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I asked a service manager at a Holden Dealer the other day and he initially thought it was covering a tow point? When I took off the plug and showed him nothing was behind it he just gave me a blank look and said something like "well the Astra's had one". He asked some other service personnel and no one knew.
Gold ! ...... ha, ha, ha. The lack of knowledge by Holden 'service' on these vehicles is unbelievable.
AWD V6 Crewman ? Nah. No such thing, you mean a Rodeo.