Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vz cam kits

Ewok

Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 GTR 360AWHP
heh, I'll take my 360awhp skyline over a $2k 25hp increase anyday :) No, it's not worth the upgrade. Your best upgrade would be to sell the car and buy a V8, upgrading power on a V6 is throwing money in a black hole. If it were viable to produce more power from the motors cheaply, the manufacturer would have done that a long time ago. Don't get me wrong, I loved my SV6, but I was under no illusion that it was fast, it was quick for what it was, but it will never be a V8 or a turbo 6.

BullittSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore SV6
heh, I'll take my 360awhp skyline over a $2k 25hp increase anyday :) No, it's not worth the upgrade. Your best upgrade would be to sell the car and buy a V8, upgrading power on a V6 is throwing money in a black hole. If it were viable to produce more power from the motors cheaply, the manufacturer would have done that a long time ago. Don't get me wrong, I loved my SV6, but I was under no illusion that it was fast, it was quick for what it was, but it will never be a V8 or a turbo 6.

Spot on. Last week I was looking at a $3000 exhaust package...I had a think about it over the weekend and thought...Why when I'm just going to want more power and buy a V8 anyway.

Ewok

Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 GTR 360AWHP
I used to be a huge advocate for modified power from a V6, but then just started looking at all the mods and the amount of cash you need to be able to first get yourself to V8 power level and then to move past it, and it's a SHITLOAD cheaper to just buy a V8 and mod that, spend less money overall and have more power than you would have been able to get out of a 6 in the first place. I love sub 12 sec quater miles...

jezz736

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Z Series Commodore
I used to be a huge advocate for modified power from a V6, but then just started looking at all the mods and the amount of cash you need to be able to first get yourself to V8 power level and then to move past it, and it's a SHITLOAD cheaper to just buy a V8 and mod that, spend less money overall and have more power than you would have been able to get out of a 6 in the first place. I love sub 12 sec quater miles...

Yeah im resurrecting this thread. Ewok the original post for this thread was asking how much for a cam kit for a v6, then u start going on about how u should just get a v8 and stop throwing ur money into a "black hole". Not everyone has a V8 for one reason or another, and some people want to make the most out of WHAT THEY HAVE, what is wrong with that? whether u start out with a 6 or an 8 who gives a s**t. People dont get 6's cos they want to get more power than an 8, that doesnt make much sense now does it.

And i disagree when u say "its a shitload cheaper to buy a v8 and mod that"

A. v8's are more expensive to buy
B. cost more to run
C. probly go through more rubber than a 6
D. there are less mods for a alloytech 6 than a V8

put those 4 together and i doubt V8's are cheaper

red_rocket05

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SS COMMODORE UTE
CAM packages from PERFORMANCE MANIFOLDS Four new billets Retail at $2550 parts only plus $1500 labour to fit PLUS a RETUNE. Cpr6 $1615. Already in another thread just thought id put in this one anyway.

CRUSTIN

P-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S 175 Ute
I hope everyone remembers that the 25rwkw starts to come in at 5000rpm, full effect at 6000. When do you use that power? Torque is much more fun. Therefore V8!!!

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
someone has my display pic!!!!!!!!!!!! i bags that pic

Vt_vic

Reaction score
Members Ride
carless for now
Yeah im resurrecting this thread. Ewok the original post for this thread was asking how much for a cam kit for a v6, then u start going on about how u should just get a v8 and stop throwing ur money into a "black hole". Not everyone has a V8 for one reason or another, and some people want to make the most out of WHAT THEY HAVE, what is wrong with that? whether u start out with a 6 or an 8 who gives a s**t. People dont get 6's cos they want to get more power than an 8, that doesnt make much sense now does it.

And i disagree when u say "its a shitload cheaper to buy a v8 and mod that"

A. v8's are more expensive to buy
B. cost more to run
C. probly go through more rubber than a 6
D. there are less mods for a alloytech 6 than a V8

put those 4 together and i doubt V8's are cheaper

but if you think about it

a. yes v8;s are more expensive to buy but to get decent power you might have to get exhaust, cam and a supercharger to get as much power to just a tuned v8
b.a cammed 6 might use the same amount of fuel to a tuned 8
c.its all up to how you drive it
d.there a a lot less mods and few people are doing them so it might cost more because they are rarer

but to the op is 3-4k for 30rwhp worth it its up to you

jezz736

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Z Series Commodore
someone has my display pic!!!!!!!!!!!! i bags that pic

Hahah yeah sorry my bad, i put it on there before i realised that u had it on, havent been screwed changin it. ill get there eventually :D

but if you think about it

a. yes v8;s are more expensive to buy but to get decent power you might have to get exhaust, cam and a supercharger to get as much power to just a tuned v8
b.a cammed 6 might use the same amount of fuel to a tuned 8
c.its all up to how you drive it
d.there a a lot less mods and few people are doing them so it might cost more because they are rarer

but to the op is 3-4k for 30rwhp worth it its up to you

i see what ur saying but ur comparing a moded up v6 to a standard v8 with a tune? not a fair comparison of course ur gunna spend more money if u compare it that way. where as a moded up v8 compared to a v6, the v8 will be more expensive.

I also would have thought a v6 with an exhaust cam and supercharger would get MORE power than just a tuned v8?

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
i see what ur saying but ur comparing a moded up v6 to a standard v8 with a tune? not a fair comparison of course ur gunna spend more money if u compare it that way. where as a moded up v8 compared to a v6, the v8 will be more expensive.

I also would have thought a v6 with an exhaust cam and supercharger would get MORE power than just a tuned v8?

I had a cammed, supercharged v6 with an exhaust - 237RWKW - that's about 7kw more than a tuned v8, and it was about $10,000 more expensive than my current SS, including factoring in money for a tune for it. My SS has 260kw standard and flogs the living **** out of my old ute - there is no comparison what so ever. My SS also uses less fuel too, so have a think about that one.