Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vz cam kits

jezz736

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Z Series Commodore
I had a cammed, supercharged v6 with an exhaust - 237RWKW - that's about 7kw more than a tuned v8, and it was about $10,000 more expensive than my current SS, including factoring in money for a tune for it. My SS has 260kw standard and flogs the living **** out of my old ute - there is no comparison what so ever. My SS also uses less fuel too, so have a think about that one.

yeah so what if u cammed ur v8, put an exhaust on and supercharged that? which do u think would use less fuel then.

my original disagreement was with the statement "its a shitload cheaper to buy a v8 and mod that" comparing a supercharged, cammed v8 to a supercharged, cammed v6, the v6 would be cheaper. Thats all im saying.

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
yeah so what if u cammed ur v8, put an exhaust on and supercharged that? which do u think would use less fuel then.

my original disagreement was with the statement "its a shitload cheaper to buy a v8 and mod that" comparing a supercharged, cammed v8 to a supercharged, cammed v6, the v6 would be cheaper. Thats all im saying.

If i cammed my v8, supercharged it and put on an exhaust I'd be making well over 450kw for the same money. I have done the V6 route.

The funny thing is, I have a friend with a vortec charged manual VY SS - makes 360RWKW and cost him less than $10,000, and uses less fuel than my old V6. My v6 cost MUCH MORE to modify than that.

jezz736

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Z Series Commodore
If i cammed my v8, supercharged it and put on an exhaust I'd be making well over 450kw for the same money. I have done the V6 route.

The funny thing is, I have a friend with a vortec charged manual VY SS - makes 360RWKW and cost him less than $10,000, and uses less fuel than my old V6. My v6 cost MUCH MORE to modify than that.

That IS funny, makes more sense to me that it would be the other way around. Only explanation that i could think of for his SS to use more fuel than ur old v6 is that it doesnt require as much power around town (stop starts) than ur v6?? i couldnt imagine much of a difference though. then theres highway driving, guess u could go on for days considering the different variables. :S

Sorry mate i still find it hard to believe that overall a v6 is more expensive.

Dont get me wrong, i would prefer a V8 over a 6 n e day :)

VZ_commo91

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ commodore Acclaim
This is not a v6 or v8 discussion. This is about Cams for the VZ... V8's are cheaper to get power out of. Period.

Now can we get back on track, is there any chance of getting Cams for the alloytec for under $3k ? is it all 4 cams and what power upgrades are we talking ?

jezz736

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Z Series Commodore
This is not a v6 or v8 discussion. This is about Cams for the VZ... V8's are cheaper to get power out of. Period.

Now can we get back on track, is there any chance of getting Cams for the alloytec for under $3k ? is it all 4 cams and what power upgrades are we talking ?

Lol ok boss......Dude we all get side tracked, check the thread, there are guys on here talkin about the cpr6.

SillySV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 Bathurst Edition
Ressurecting the thread once again. Mace Engineering has brought out a new Cam Package for $1,290 and that combined with a CPR6 Inlet Manifold + a bit of power. Now I know that buying a V8 is very appealing, here are some things that need to be cleared up.

> As stated before, fuel is a small issue for some.
> P Platers may want to do modifications under an SV6 Badge thus avoiding red flags from police etc.
> The enjoyment that you get from beating a stock VY SS with a revhead behind the wheel and leaving them in awe that a 6 took them is awesome.
> New Cam packages are near impossible to identify as "installed" therefor as stated before, someone with their P Plates etc can easily conceal it.
> I plan on Camming mine, but in the meantime ive been in a cammed HFV6 190 with CPR6 Manifold and it flew. With the right tuning etc, it can really be worth it.

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
I don't agree with the above, I can guarantee and prove that my tune only vy ss runs the same as my old sv6 which I sunk over 8k into. I highly doubt that you could leave a vy ss for dead with cams only alloytec. Yes it may give it a bit more poke but leave it for dead? Never...

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
> As stated before, fuel is a small issue for some.
> P Platers may want to do modifications under an SV6 Badge thus avoiding red flags from police etc.
> The enjoyment that you get from beating a stock VY SS with a revhead behind the wheel and leaving them in awe that a 6 took them is awesome.
> New Cam packages are near impossible to identify as "installed" therefor as stated before, someone with their P Plates etc can easily conceal it.
> I plan on Camming mine, but in the meantime ive been in a cammed HFV6 190 with CPR6 Manifold and it flew. With the right tuning etc, it can really be worth it.

SV6's will draw police attention as much as a SS, its all about how you drive.
You will not beat a stock SS
Cam's are stupidly easy to identify, unless your born earless
Alloytecs are only decent when turbo'd (and to an extent, supercharged) A cammed, CRP6'd alloytec will only be as fast as a stock 215i 5.0ltr.

And don't be bringing the old CPR6 promo car into this, unless you want to compare an engine with a stand alone ECU, custom cams, serious porting, 9,000rpm redline blah blah blah. Oh and I'm pretty sure it liked to throw rod too.