Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Engine won't run with new Ignition Coils

Dan2006VZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VZ Executive
My alloytec engine is running rough, and many forums suggested that the ignition coils may be at fault, instead of me rectifying which one was faulty i decided to buy all 6. As repco offered $60 just for one i turned to ebay which was selling 6 for $100 so i went with those. However after fitting them, the engine would only run for like 2 seconds and then shut off. This was extremely annoying as they are not easy to change. Was i ripped off, has anyone else had this problem, and is there a way to fix it.

Cheers

Last edited:

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Are all the wiring harness connections and any other bits that you disconnected plugged back in and connected properly ?
Be cautious when buying cheap ignition parts off ebay as there are a lot of poor quality knock off's for sale on there
I suggest you refit the original coils you took out and see if it starts up....As you said, it was running rough before you changed them, but at least it was running
If it starts and runs send the Ebay junk back for a refund
It's also s really good idea to replace the spark plugs too when you're changing coils

Mace do a set of alloytec coils for a really good price that come with a 3 year warranty
https://www.maceengineering.com.au/MACE-HOLDEN-COMMODORE-36L-ALLOYTEC-VZ-VE-LY7-LE0-IGNITION-COILS

Dan2006VZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VZ Executive
i made sure that everything was plugged in currently, i also ended up plugging in a scanner tool to see what the problem was and fondly enough the pending problem was that they were generic. Is this bad on holdens part, that they only want consumers to purchase genuine parts? I guess i'll need to fit the original ones on. A massive waste of time and money:mad:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ebay is hit and miss for parts across all models. I bought an 02 sensor that was faulty from factory. I am now in the process of trying to get a refund. I have sent the part back and now it is up to the seller. If he says no then I have to try and claim it back through Paypal which I hope it doesn't come too. 100 bucks for six coils rings alarm bells for me. Something's you just can't skimp on.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
What told you the fault was that the coils are generic? I've never seen a fault code recognise that non genuine coils were fitted, just poor quality coils.
I'm guessing from experience that only a couple of the originals will be faulty but it's best to replace them all given their age.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
It's not Holden's fault that the coils were crap and they didn't work correctly
The coils you bought are a perfect example of the poor quality parts that are available from Ebay that I mentioned in my previous post

There are a couple of good quality aftermarket coils available for these engines
Bosch and VDO make good quality replacements....
If you're prepared to buy decent quality replacements and do a little research before you buy, you can get AC Delco or Delphi branded coils (repackaged Holden genuine) for the same sort of price as the aftermarket coils anyway.

Just remember:
Cheap isn't always going to be good quality
Good quality isn't always going to be cheap

Last edited:

Dan2006VZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VZ Executive
Ebay is hit and miss for parts across all models. I bought an 02 sensor that was faulty from factory. I am now in the process of trying to get a refund. I have sent the part back and now it is up to the seller. If he says no then I have to try and claim it back through Paypal which I hope it doesn't come too. 100 bucks for six coils rings alarm bells for me. Something's you just can't skimp on.
Best of luck with the refund, this was my first time i purchased car parts over ebay, i guess u learn from your mistakes

Last edited:

Dan2006VZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VZ Executive
What told you the fault was that the coils are generic? I've never seen a fault code recognise that non genuine coils were fitted, just poor quality coils.
I'm guessing from experience that only a couple of the originals will be faulty but it's best to replace them all given their age.
I used an ob2 sensor, and it displayed pending errors on igntion coils A B C D E & F as being generic. I was quite surprised when i saw this as i didn't know that there was that much electronics in the computer to depict them as generic. Maybe is was another way of saying they were faulty???

Dan2006VZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VZ Executive
It's not Holden's fault that the coils were crap and they didn't work correctly
The coils you bought are a perfect example of the poor quality parts that are available from Ebay that I mentioned in my previous post

There are a couple of good quality aftermarket coils available for these engines
Bosch and VDO make good quality replacements....
If you're prepared to buy decent quality replacements and do a little research before you buy, you can get AC Delco or Delphi branded coils (repackaged Holden genuine) for the same sort of price as the aftermarket coils anyway.

Just remember:
Cheap isn't always going to be good quality
Good quality isn't always going to be cheap

Once i receive my refund i'll consider buying some better quality coils. Thanks again

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
I used an ob2 sensor, and it displayed pending errors on igntion coils A B C D E & F as being generic. I was quite surprised when i saw this as i didn't know that there was that much electronics in the computer to depict them as generic. Maybe is was another way of saying they were faulty???

This "generic" is a way of a cheap scanner to indicate a fault/pending without specific fault codes. Not a clever way for the scanner to identify non genuine parts.....