Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz sv6 misfire

vycommy1997

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy acclaim
I just bought a 04 vz sv6 with the alloytec 3.6l
It has a miss on idle and when using light to medium acceleration and it hesitates, when I plant my foot it comes right and flys off like a bat outta hell

I've checked the ignition coils and all change to lower idle when unplugged, have also put in brand new spark plugs, new air filter and new fuel filter, there is a ticking noise from the passenger side of engine and when I unplug the cylinder no.6 coil the ticking goes away am I right in thinking it's a fuel injector
No codes on dash or on scan tool
Any help appreciated

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180127-130532.png
    Screenshot_20180127-130532.png
    322.3 KB · Views: 103

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
" there is a ticking noise from the passenger side of engine"
Could be a vapor solenoid that is mounted on the side of the intake manifold,

Best to do a live scan, and if you are able to, disable each coil to see which cyl is at fault.

Last edited:

vycommy1997

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy acclaim
" there is a ticking noise from the passenger side of engine"
Could be a vapor solenoid that is mounted on the side of the intake manifold,

Best to do a live scan, and if you are able to, disable each coil to see which cyl is at fault.
The ticking goes away when no. 6 coil is unplugged while the car is running

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Ok,

Possibly a faulty coil, faulty plug,
ticking noise could be the spark is leaking from the coil.

Other than that,
May I suggest sourcing a mechanic stethoscope to pinpoint where the noise is coming from.

Last edited:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Replace the coil number 6 or swap number 6 with another one.
I don't bother messing around with old parts, if i suspect it is faulty replace it and in most cases problem solved.

vycommy1997

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy acclaim
I don't bother messing around with old parts, if i suspect it is faulty replace it and in most cases problem solved.
I'll swap with another one tomorrow and see if the click follows the coil, thanks I'll touch base tomorrow

vycommy1997

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy acclaim
Swapped with another coil from different cylinder, same result, on cold starts it idles great for about 5 minutes then the misfire and ticking begins, there is ticking from the evap solenoid however it's different to the issue I'm having, the tick is very loud at the passenger firewall back of engine and the tick only starts when at the same time as bad idle/misfire

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Swapped with another coil from different cylinder, same result, on cold starts it idles great for about 5 minutes then the misfire and ticking begins, there is ticking from the evap solenoid however it's different to the issue I'm having, the tick is very loud at the passenger firewall back of engine and the tick only starts when at the same time as bad idle/misfire
Then it sounds like the vapour solenoid. When it ticks can you feel the solenoid ticking?
Check you don't have a vacuum leak where the hose connects to the solenoid. And if not a leak just replace the solenoid itself.

Viffer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
I just bought a 04 vz sv6 with the alloytec 3.6l
It has a miss on idle and when using light to medium acceleration and it hesitates, when I plant my foot it comes right and flys off like a bat outta hell

I've checked the ignition coils and all change to lower idle when unplugged, have also put in brand new spark plugs, new air filter and new fuel filter, there is a ticking noise from the passenger side of engine and when I unplug the cylinder no.6 coil the ticking goes away am I right in thinking it's a fuel injector
No codes on dash or on scan tool
Any help appreciated

Here's one I prepared earlier... the Bosch coils tend to get corrosion in the high voltage contacts around the spark plug fitting, which causes misfire at idle and under load. I'm not saying what I did will fix your car, but if the budget would be better off without having to buy six new coils (for something that can be cleaned up easily), it might be worth a try.

Good luck with it! Let us know if it works.

Post in thread 'VZ V6 misfire under load...'
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vz-v6-misfire-under-load.167929/post-3347405

vycommy1997

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy acclaim
So today the car wouldn't start just has a slow wind then clicks, battery voltage was at 12.4v lots of corrosion at base of battery, and when I test amperage with headlights on and key on the abs light comes on and beeps and then it has trac off, am I right in suspecting the battery is toast even though voltage is good, and could this be part of my misfire problem, thanks