Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Fuel Gauge Problem

Weekend Warrior

Waghoon
Reaction score
Website
www.streetwagons.com
Members Ride
Black VZ Wagon
think mine is ****ed as well, seems pretty good until the the gauge gets to half way, then it goes bonkers. Drops so fast you can practically see it move. Also when i turn the car off then turn it back on shortly after the needle drops about 2 - 3 mill from the position it was when i turned the car off. But if i leave the car for an hour or some then turn it on it goes up way past the original mark. any one else having problems like this? It's a 2005 Executive station wagon.

Mr X

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec
think mine is ****ed as well, seems pretty good until the the gauge gets to half way, then it goes bonkers. Drops so fast you can practically see it move. Also when i turn the car off then turn it back on shortly after the needle drops about 2 - 3 mill from the position it was when i turned the car off. But if i leave the car for an hour or some then turn it on it goes up way past the original mark. any one else having problems like this? It's a 2005 Executive station wagon.

Pretty much the same deal here with my 2004 VZ exec.
My L/100km is almost perfect from looking at my fuel receipts and doing some quick maths, but my fuel gauge consistently seems to drop pretty quickly from 1/2 full to empty and I'll fill up about 50L. Got Holden to look at it last service and they said they had to replace the whole fuel pump assembly which required them to remove the fuel tank and everything. Cost: $550. I told them to get bent. Its annoying but its not worth $550 to fix, and from reading this there is no guarantee it'll fix is anyway.

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
*Quick Run Through* .......... I have a 06 VZ, my dad has a 05 VZ. His has this issue........

I have VCM Suite........ I found in his ECU there was a billion things that stopped it from possibly starting in the DCM's....... so I matched most to mine......... the car improved in starting, but occasionally it still produced the 'fuel guage error' from which we'd just jump start it each time to access the ECU.

When the fuel guage error comes on it immobilises the car unforunately. So then we came down to the KEY RING, so I disabled the blank key or invalid security code......... helped a bit more, but if u leave the car for a few days.......... no start again.

We're gunna look into relinking the security setup (VATS) .......... , also could be faulty BCM, Fuel Sender, Cluster, Fuel Pump, Sender or possibly a earth issue or key going flat.

It has a new battery etc as well. The problem does seem electrical as the fuel pump doesn't even turn on......... u know when it wont start.

We're tracking this problem down step by step. We'll give a 1ltr metho run thru the tank and some injector cleaner as well...........

Funkshen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute
im another addition to this club (VZ S ute)

from empty i put in 47 litres. avg was 10.8 and thats no heavy foot. just constant speed with cc on half the time..sigh

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
Yep mine is out also. When the needle hits the red zone i know i still have 20L in the tank so i keep driving for another 150km then refill lol.

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
Since ive had the WL cluster installed, ive noticed the needle fluctuates alot more than the standard SV6 one.
This has me stumped, as i still get the same dis to emp & same amount of lts per tank go in.

I just thought that the WL gauge is more accurate & the SV6 gauge only moves when there is a significant change in the fuel level, or something along those lines.

Funkshen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute
Yep mine is out also. When the needle hits the red zone i know i still have 20L in the tank so i keep driving for another 150km then refill lol.

how many times have you done that mate?

im considering doing this, but to be on the safe side, carry around a little 5lt jerry in the back

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
Since i got my car about six months ago. Also when you do this the Distance to empty re calibrates itself so i use that as a guide as well as knowing how many km's i get out of the full 75L's. When i first got the car the distance till empty read 500km when i filled it up but after running the car to true empty it now reads 650km when i fill it up.

Funkshen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute
when u say it re calibrates, you mean once you've hit 0 or when you've filled up?

AussieHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon 2006
I brought a SS V8 Red cluster from another VZ but a ute and I installed it just to see how it looks and the fuel gauge when at half would be moving up and down very slowly to a point it would start telling me low fuel but when full act's normal until it reached the half way mark and it started again ?

Original cluster is normal no issue's.

I have a V6 Exec so not sure if this is why or could this be telling you guys it could be a dud fuel guage in the cluster ?

This sounds like a very very big problem maybe all you guys should get together with your evidence and maybe contact ACA or the likes so they can approach Holden and ask why they are letting these cars go out with a major fault ? just and idea ?