Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Fuel Gauge Problem

calay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
so, from reading thru about 10 pages of the same stuff over and over, my conclusions...

for the utes... even tho the tank is 70L, there is about 15L of UN-USABLE fuel due to the design/pick-up location, so don't think you can use all of the fuel, when the gauge says its empty the car is very close to stopping...

i couldn't determine whether this was a problem on the sedans also. my calais does wierd things below half-full, but that is mainly when i'm in my driveway which slopes up.
this has led me to the conclusion that the pick-up is towards the front of the tank, which is useless since you're more likely to be in a world of **** if you run out of fuel going UP a hill rather than down one...

looking at my tank, its not surprising there are so many problems - it is so big and flat that you could spread out 5L on the base of it and not even be 1cm high!

sounds like you need to get in there and move the pick-up closer to the base of the tank

i'm going to throw a jerry into the boot then see how far i can go before running it dry to see if my tank is the same as the ute's

VZ006

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
That Fuel Gauge

Hi all, love the VZ, goes like a rocket, but am having the same fuel gauge drama's, I have a 75 litre tank and my warning buzzer goes off, so last time I filled the tank, I noticed that I only put 60 litres in, so that meant that I still had 15 litres left, so I could've travelled another 100 odd kays, today I took a chance and was able to 700 kms out of a tank, I will do some more cals tomorrow and see how much I would've had left. A calibration problem so has been mentioned ?, when I took my car to Holden in Brisbane they told me they had done it.......doubt it very much, thanks for the tech data and will take that back to GMH,
cheers all

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
You know what...... when it comes to FAULTS OR WARRANTY........... HOLDEN IS ABSOLUTE SH*T.

Seriously........ example. How many have the deaded faulty intake pendulum hole front drivers side bolt? ...... you know the one where the bolt breaks thru because there's no support base under it. 99%?????

Take a look around ebay, how many alloytech based cars have the same hole???? VZ's YES, VE's YES.

I didn't know this when I got my car, took it to 'Eagers' to have them inspect it. Their report said I broke it. Yea driving around at christmas I just randomly decided to pull over and break it........... and I suppose 99% of all the other holden owners all did the same thing......

CRAP. I wrote complained, went nowhere............. seriously holden needs to be had up for the dodgy bullsh*t.

Yes they make good cars, and they expect us to take very good car of them......... so why wont they backup what they made when something goes wrong??????

Horror stories of people who have bought new ve's etc........... that are completly stuffed, engine rebuilds, transmission failures.......... cant get ur $30-50k back huh.... all u can do is keep filing wty claims when each thing fails.

The fuel guage thing could be anything............... ANYTHING I've been working on a similar thing for a while..........

I love and hate holden at the same time, I just wish they'd have some balls like their V8's and man the f*ck up and take care of their business......... excuse the language. It's seriously poor view they have made for themselves.

No matter how good a car they make, there's a reason EUROPEAN is Euro......... Their sh*t works!

PS. I got a 2006 VZ Commodore Executive, never EVER had a problem with the fuel........ reading, low, starting the car nothing........... it'll work perfect down to the very last litre in the tank........... so some cars just have this problem, there's no theories or excuses about this. It's a fault, and holden wont fix it or atleast spend THEIR money figuring out WTF it is.

djs7cc

Dylan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Ex Cop
hey guys
the fuel guage is accurate for the first half of the tank
but when it starts to get empty the petrol moves around in the tank which is why it gives such crap readings
if u guys all park on a hill facing up the hill tomorrow (need like less then 100k to go) and leave it for 20 minutes and come back to it u will see the reading will say very low fuel
i drove for 27 kilometers the other day on zero kilometers left (obviosuly not zero) this is because the fuel in the tank moves around and the stupid fuel guage is stupid

VZ006

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Fuel Gauge Drama's

Guys (and girls) well have done the maths, am able to get 720/730 kms out of my VZ (75 litre tank) with good highway driving, the fuel gauge still drives me up the wall but at least now I know how far the old girl will get me. Saying that, it still hasn't fixed the problem of an inaccurate fuel gauge, will be taking the car in for a service shortly and mention it to the Holden Dealers, although mention is not the correct tone I'll be using, this is the third time I've asked them to look at it. Will let you know how it goes

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
anyone found a solution to this yet? does it seem to be mostly assocated with changing instrument clusters???

We're still working away on our 05 VZ Exec.... cant determine whats up. With our mixed never starting car, sometimes we've noticed the fuel guage comes up really really slow..... and that attributes to how long we can leave the car til it wont start again.

pearlpage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon
This is the first I've heard of this problem, I've got a VX Acclaim Wagon and the exact same thing has happened to me. Only had the car for about a year and a half, got in the car and it said that it had over a quarter of a tank left and 150km to empty. Petrol station was about 70km away (we live out in the bush). I was driving fine then all of a sudden the bloody thing just cut out on me. The battery light came on and it just came to a complete stop. Rang NRMA who said that it's a common problem with the Commodores and Holden know all about it as apparently some models were re-called because of it. So now, I need to replace the fuel pump which I'm guessing will cost an absolute fortune. I'm never buying another Holden ever again.

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
Our issue btw turned out to be a faulty ECU which we replaced and fixed the issue.

mainpath

Reaction score
Website
www.applecollector.com
Members Ride
04 VZ Exec, HX Kingswood, VB Comm
You know what...... when it comes to FAULTS OR WARRANTY........... HOLDEN IS ABSOLUTE SH*T.

Seriously........ example. How many have the deaded faulty intake pendulum hole front drivers side bolt? ...... you know the one where the bolt breaks thru because there's no support base under it. 99%?????

I assume you are meaning the bolt on the top if the engine bottom left? I was always wondering why that was missing, when I picked up the car in March I could swear that the bolt was their. Is it dangerous not to have it / Could it cause any issues?