Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ LY7 V6 Engine swap - cranks won't fire

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
Gday guys
I did a like for like LY7 enigne swap. Was taken from a good running 04 VZ calais and put into an 04 VZ calais. BOth black top LY7 motors.

I took my time so am confident all connections are re-joined. No errors on dash. Used all the exisitng vehicles ECM but strangely was offered the ECM with the donor motor by the wrecker.....

Looks like I have plenty of fuel. Have swapped and checked relays and fuses under steering and in the engine bay. The key operates the door locks and arms and disarms the vehicle.

Def feels like I have no spark. I may try with some fuel into the vac port tomorrow and throw a coil and plug onto one of the coil terminals to check spark.

Any suggestions ?? All I can think of is the old sensors are matched to the ECM or engine somehow. I'm thinking I should've taken the ECM from donor motor but I figured it wouldn't be matched to anything else so why bother.

HELP PLEASE! thanks :)

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Swap your cam/cas sensors from the old engine to the new one.

The ECU that the wrecker offered needs to be paired with the BCM, but I would have grabbed it just because the VZ ECUs are super common to fail and would have been a good spare to have somebody like Envyious Customs reprogram.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
bit of an update for y-all.

I got the guru to come over because I just dont have hours on end to 'try' and see what I can stumble on.

No one would have picked this - fried ECM. Thing has snapped a chain (supposedly) but the ECU is cooked too??

So he plugged in an ECU and PIM and then linked the FOB with the scan tool and it ran like a clock! So now im on the hunt for a set. The ECU repair bloke says he's never seen them stuff up like this befroe (intermittent spark) so he's not holding his breathe.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
but the ECU is cooked too??
They're super common to fry on the VZ V6s. Maybe the timing was coincidental, but it's well known.