Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Motor Replacement

madbart2000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Wagon
Hi Guys,
My VZ wagon has done approx 150,000k and the motor started making strange noises yesterday. I took it to a dealership and had it assessed and they indicated it was an oil pump problem and that it would need to be repalced.

I drove it home and took it to the dealership closer to home and they have inidcated that the motor will either need to be rebuilt or replaced.

I would have thought that I would get more than 150K out of a motor on a 4 year old car????

And yes engine oil changed and serviced between every 10-15 thousand K's so well within their limit. I did buy the car with 40,000 3 years ago 12 months old.

As a side note they want $5000 to rebuild or $4300 for a second hand motor with 30,000 fitted. Also I am looking to move the car on prior to the end of the year.

Your thoughts of what my next move should be?

:bang::bang::bang:

poweredbycng

Reaction score
I'd say you should get an opinion from an independent mechanic before doing anything else.

Regards,
Dave

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I'd try a wrecker for a VZ fit - I'd say much cheaper than $4500. Can get complete cars from auction for less then $8,000 at the moment.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
get another opionion, not saying there isnt something wrong with the motor, but generally alloytecs are pretty tuff and should last atleast double those km's with regular servicing without many dramas

policehoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ EQUIPE
I thought the Holden VZ engine was pretty much bullet proof, with just standard city driving and being looked after.

Especially an engine with only 150 ks on the clock

madbart2000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Wagon
Thanks guys. It has been suggested to me that it may well be the oil pump as the oil warning light comes on every now and again and they think it is lacking in pressure. Having said that I drove it for about 30ks this morning with no warnings appearing and the motor sounded normal.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Dealers will do just about anything to take your money. Replacement engine is a pretty drastic thing when it could be something very simple. I'd be curious to know how they came to the conclusion the whole motor needs replacing?

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
and mines done 150 000 with 90 000 of those being police kays with no issues so it has me intrigued.

madbart2000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Wagon
There has been yet another theory in my cars wooes. Apparently there is a filter in the oil pickup.
when the car warms up it clogs up reducing the pressure of the oil giving the warning.

When the car cools down the crap drops off the filter and works ok again.
It only happens when the cars get warm.

Your thoughts?
s