Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Random Start

Greg 25

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore manual ute
Hi, I have a problem with my sons 2005 .VZ manual ute. It has a random start issue, which when occurs engine will not start, no clicking etc, dash lights come on normal, just wont start. If you continually keep trying after time period 5-10 minutes it will start and car will run fine and restart no problems until next time it randomly wont start again.

We have OBD reader, which logs a P061 fault code, which is internal memory which I assume is in the ECM. But again not sure, code can be reset and it will not return until next random "no start" event. Car cannot go to auto elec because you do not know when it will happen, and when it does happen and eventually start again it will start on subsequent restart trys until next random "no start". The dash also displays "check drivetrain" when the P061 logged for a no start event.

Car has had new battery, alternator and starter motor (all OEM parts). This issue is very frustrating.

I purchased a new matched set as currently fitted from eBay for ECM,BCM,PIM and FOB as I know they must be matched to suit what is fitted to vehicle, but when installed they wouldn't even link, so I returned them, fitted original items and car starts and runs fine until next random "no start".

I am thinking next step is reflash or reconditioned ECM?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Check drivetrain could be dodgy oil pressure switch which my son fitted to the wife's car last week to get rid of a similar dash problem,
however,
and I have mentioned this a few times before,
how old is the remote,
and even better still replace the battery in the remote as I have done.
Not hard to do simply undo the screws in the remote, use a blade screwdriver to open the case, then a very tiny driver to lever/chop the tab offr the battery top, then place the battery on a vice to lever/chop the under tab off then get a pack of cheap batteries from the cheap shop about $3-$5 and fit one.
Use a spot of super glue each end of the case when you pop it back together.
Or drive up here for a surf and I will change it while you watch.

See post #3 and #4 below

Greg 25

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore manual ute
Hi, This has been occurring on and off for over 6 months, but will try battery change as we are getting desperate.

Regards
Greg

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I wonder if the power feed to your starter motor solenoid is loose at the solenoid clip. It is the thin one. Wiggle it next time and see if that gets it happening.

Dechlan Tutty

Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ SV6 - Auto (5 sp.)
Loose terminals/connections? Just run over every important connector (starter, fuse box main, etc.) and make sure they aren't corroded or loose. Otherwise I don't know.