Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Rough Idle - fixed

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
Hi and welcome, Shelly.

If you have the rough idle problem. you'll want to work through systematically. First get it checked for trouble codes. If there's nothing, then check your vacuum hoses for cracks etc. If they are okay, check fuel filter is not blocked (replace it if it's old) and then see if it's any better. If no better, get some throttle body cleaner and clean the throttle body. Check and see if any improvement. If still running bad, replace the plugs (if they are due). Again check how it's running. If still rough, replace the coils - I did all 6 and the manifold gasket at the same time.

Best of luck

ShellyMacca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Yeah I did the plugs not long ago... But not the coils.. And the service is flashing at me again.. I did post the problems I'm having with it, in the vz thread... She is acting really strange tho... It's getting to the point that I'm scared to drive her in case its the gear box...

Here is my post if you don't mind having a read through .... https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vz-sv6-running-rough-plz-help.268321/

Chris Rosas

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6
Hi All,

Posted a while ago about my rough idle issue. Had the ECU replaced which did not fix the issue. Turns out one coil had not been installed properly by the technicians at Holden. The rubber seal was damaged and let water in, which corroded the coil shaft and presumably the internal electrics. This afternoon I fitted a set of 6 new coils which cost $350 including the inlet manifold gaskets. I can't wait to drive it to work tomorrow, it's a different car.

As for the spare ECU I now have, well at least I didn't throw it away. I have also got 5 potentially good spare coils that I'll hang onto while I have the car. The rubber boot is missing as it stuck to the plug (I had to extract it with long nose pliers).

View attachment 195911

Chris Rosas

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6
Silverbird your a legend mate. I spent alot of coin trying to fix this problem as the car wasn't throwing any code's. Thank you very much for your info. I changed all 6 coils packs & now she purrs along. Cheers bro

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
Chris that's great news mate! Happy motoring!

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I may be inviting trouble here.
My VZ has now done 130K, original plugs and coils, no problems, missing, or bad fuel consumption. So, on the basis that I do maintenance at intervals as suggested by the book, I got a quote from Holden.
Stuff me gently ! ….. coils $ 832, plugs $162, labour $420. Not that I was going to let them do the job anyway ……. they could probably stuff up a plug change on a Victa.
My regular mechanic has quoted $720 to do the job, and recommended that if it ain’t broke, don’t screw with it.
Thing is, I’m planning a 6K outback trip soon, and I don’t think Birdsville or Innamincka has a Holden dealer.
Should I bite the bullet, or chance my luck ?

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
My 2 cents worth, at 130,000kms I would leave the coils. I had to change my coils only recently and my car had done about 180,000kms by then. It has to be said that my car spends most of the week sitting in the garage.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
My coils lasted 250,000k so I wouldn't bother at 130.
If your worried though just buy 1 or 2 from a wrecker or a set of 6 from mace and keep a couple in the car as spares.

Wagon VZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
Hi All,

Posted a while ago about my rough idle issue. Had the ECU replaced which did not fix the issue. Turns out one coil had not been installed properly by the technicians at Holden. The rubber seal was damaged and let water in, which corroded the coil shaft and presumably the internal electrics. This afternoon I fitted a set of 6 new coils which cost $350 including the inlet manifold gaskets. I can't wait to drive it to work tomorrow, it's a different car.

As for the spare ECU I now have, well at least I didn't throw it away. I have also got 5 potentially good spare coils that I'll hang onto while I have the car. The rubber boot is missing as it stuck to the plug (I had to extract it with long nose pliers).

View attachment 195911
I am about to order a 6 pack of Bosch coil packs for my wagon, but the part number of all the ones that are advertised is Bosch 0221 604 112, and the ones in my motor are labelled part number Bosch 0221 604 104. I cant find the ones with part number suffix '104' anywhere. Is this a superseded part number, or does no-one sell the '104' part. Photos online for the '112' look the same as mine. Are they one and the same? Any help appreciated!

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
Two different plugs over the years, just make sure they are for your year. If your year is the change over, check with the supplier with your vin.