Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Rough Idle - fixed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman S
Sorry for coming into the thread late, but we've just bought our wagon and are having the same problems. Got heaps worse with rain. Where abouts did you order your coils from? And what brands are best? Not looking for performance, but want them to last

Chris Rosas

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6
Sorry for coming into the thread late, but we've just bought our wagon and are having the same problems. Got heaps worse with rain. Where abouts did you order your coils from? And what brands are best? Not looking for performance, but want them to last
Hey mate,
You can get Bosch coil's from places like- Autopro, Repco or Supercheap. Bosch coil's are about $70-$80 each or you can get Mace coils for $70ea online but might have to pay freight. If you gonna do coils, your best off to do the Spark plugs as well while you're there unless you've already done them. Bosch is almost in every vehicle, the Mace type are a performance brand and you don't need a high performance engine to run them

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman S
Thanks for that Chris Rosas. Will give it a go.
Had a new development.. tried to give it a few revs to see if it was just a blockage cause by low rpm (have recently done a lot of heavy traffic driving), but while doing that, noticed that the engine is capping at 4k. Never had a problem with it before. Anyone have any ideas? No point in spending the money on coils and plugs to find out its something else.

Chris Rosas

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6
I spent about $1200 until I found the problem. What I suggest you do before buying coil's-

1- Make sure you have a fresh fuel filter
2- Get your CO2 pulse's checked
3- Then get coil's checked.

Cause I got an SV6, I got all new CO2 sensors (x4) only find out that they weren't the problem, then the I got all new coil's & that fixed the problem. Is yours auto or manual??

Chris Rosas

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6
Yeah rogee. I reckon you've got a broken/fractured spark plug or plugs. My mates ute was doing the same thing. We just put new coil's & plugs

plane driver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Sedan Alloytec
noticed that the engine is capping at 4k. Never had a problem with it before.

When you say never had a problem with it before just exactly what do you mean and under what conditions?

My understanding is that there is a definite rev limiter when in neutral or park. I can floor the accelerator in mine and it jumps to 4000 quick smart and no further. In gear it is all normal as would be expected.

StevoVZ71

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute
Hey guys, I just joined the forum as I have been following this thread and other similar ones on this forum and found a lot of useful information on here.
Anyway I was experiencing similar problems with my VZ ute with it breaking down when I got around the 80kmh mark and it not quite idling right so after some research thought that I had dropped a coil. I was a little daunted at the cost and what was required to swap out the coil especially regarding the fact I had to at least partially remove the intake manifold. While I was looking under the hood I notice that there was a little air/vacuum hose coming from the front of the intake manifold down to what I now think is a solenoid that had split and this was the cause of the issue. I did some more research on here which is where I was led to believe it goes to a solenoid and that you still needed to remove the intake manifold to replace this and that the replacement part would of cost between $80 to $140 from various sources.
Anyhow I needed to get it sorted pretty quickly as when I played around with it (trying to wrap some tape around it as recommended on this forum) it actually came apart in my hands. So I borrowed a mates car and went to Enzed and got a small length of rubber hose and a brass elbow which I cut down and put two 40mm lengths of the hose on either end and fitted it in which has fixed my issue perfectly - car now runs a treat.
See below picture and BTW I also gave the car a good degreasing after I took this shot.
Thought I would share this as it may save some people some time and money.
20181004_170212.jpg

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
Hi all, been busy with things lately and haven't checked in on this thread in some months. My VZ is still running fairly smooth since I replaced the coils. Idle improved a little more after I cleaned the throttle body and MAF (the MAF cleaner was quite expensive, but is a must for cleaning MAF sensors). Someone was asking earlier where my coils were from - answer is eBay...