Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SS Power Steering problem

loudvtss

Reaction score
Hi guys/gals, my VZ SS power steerings vibrates when I'm turning the wheel and travelling at slow speeds. It's more evident when reverse parking or driving off and turning the steering wheel. The Holden dealer tells me it's related to pressure and the auto transmission. There's a power steering hose they can replace to fix the problem. It's been 2 weeks and no hose, there's a back order. Anyone else have the same problem?

commodore2004

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz berlina
I had the same problem it ended up being a leak in the power steering hoses.
Just check and see if your power steering fluid is visable in the resevoir.
if its not take it back to your holden dealer and get them to tighten the hoses ,there should be no charge. not even for the fluid.

DavoTheGreat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series ClubSport
loudvtss how'd you go with your power steering? My VZ SS has the same problem, got Holden to have a look at the 40,000km service and they said they tightened up something but it made no difference. Mine's also most noticeable when reverse parking but also noticeable when going around roundabouts in a big hurry or other situations where the steering gets turned a long way very quickly.

MikesVT

M&M =D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing :'(
I have a similar kind of problem in my VT, at low speeds it just doesnt feel right... and there is kind of a knocking sound... Power steering has been an issue in pretty much every model that's been in the family... good luck with it

loudvtss

Reaction score
I've been keeping an eye on the forums. Power steering seems to be a problematic thing. Some problems are related to the hose clamps needing tightening. I'm still waiting for the dealer to call me when the hose comes in. Seems they don't have any in stock...

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Power steering is popular problem with Commodores, I have changed mine twice on my VR, so don't be surprised if the pump goes within 5 yrs!

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Hi guys/gals, my VZ SS power steerings vibrates when I'm turning the wheel and travelling at slow speeds. It's more evident when reverse parking or driving off and turning the steering wheel. The Holden dealer tells me it's related to pressure and the auto transmission. There's a power steering hose they can replace to fix the problem. It's been 2 weeks and no hose, there's a back order. Anyone else have the same problem?

This is a common problem with VY's and VZ's - though I thought it was a V6 thing only. HEAPS of people have complained about this in the forum. Holden should replace the hose for you under warranty.

loudvtss

Reaction score
The hose has been replaced. It hasn't got rid of the problem. It's made it better so it doesn't happen as often. Will see how it goes for a week..

DavoTheGreat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series ClubSport
My SS had its 50k service today and they replaced the high pressure power steering hose under warranty. Steering seems much more direct and responsive, didn't shudder driving home. Will see what it does when I reverse out of the garage in the morning.

DavoTheGreat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series ClubSport
Ok... the steering was still shuddering when parking, despite feeling a lot better whilst driving along. Took the car back to the dealer yesterday, they bled the power steering system and it's a lot better but it's still not completely fixed. The dealer have now contacted Holden themselves for assistance as to how to proceed from here. So I guess the dealer will call me when Holden get back to them. At least I've got the car back and the dealer's mechanics were honest enough to say it's not right and escalate the problem to Holden rather than giving me the car back and saying it was all sweet when it obviously wasn't. I'll update this thread when I have further info.