Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz ss safety mode

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
Just to help anyone in the future - The old fella i work with was having a similar issue with his VZ LS1 Monaro done (400 thous Ks unopen engine)

He drives roughly an hour and half 1 way to and from work. Some days on his travel he would have to pull over up to 4 times, as the car went into a limp mode and wouldn't go past 60 or 80ks (cant remember the exact figure) he would have to pull over, switch it off, wait a couple seconds and then start it. some days he could get a straight run in, he said it happen to his wife 11 times in one run.

No one could figure out what the issue was incl holden, i told him to take it to the bloke whose done all the work on my car (Electronic Automotive in Epping) He had a look over everything, ordered him a new throttle body (which has the TPS mounted to the side) and fitted it up. been over a week now and hes happy to say it hasn't done it once.

hope this helps anyone pulling their hair out

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Safety mode is generally either throttle body or accelerator pedal.

MILOTHEGREAT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore
I have the same problem 05 vz ss drives normal for weeks and randomly limp mode/safety mode.
I've had the local mechanic look at it with scanner only codes were mass air flow
Ute has had a mafless tune and otr cold air
I have suspicions that its the accel pedal
If I use the pedal instead of cruise control it almost everytime goes into limp mode

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Hi Milo

The intermittent problem is likely linked to the pedal; however, the TACM could also be a problem.

I have been trying to get a VZ ute up and running - came as a roller less the accelerator pedal. The pedal was removed by cutting the wiring. I was chasing pedal problems for months only to find that the wiring diagram in the manual for the B22 connector was showing incorrectly numbered pins. Once I got the wiring sorted I was able to identify fault codes with a Tech 2. In my case:

P1125 Accelerator Pedal Position System - output from the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). When this fault occurs the PCM sets a limp home mode of operation due to multiple APP sensor faults. This is the likely cause when the pedal starts to fail.

P2120 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor 1 Range / Performance and P2125 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor 2 Range / Performance. This fault occurs when the TACM determines the signal voltage of an APP sensor is outside the predetermined range. This could be related to the pedal or the TACM itself - as I found.

I was able to follow the diagnostics bouncing ball in the manual; the output voltage from the pedals read 0.12V and 0.00V from the respective sensors. When I removed the pedals and bridged the contacts the TACM output remained 0.12V and 0V. That pretty much cleared the pedal of issues (I used two second hand pedals from previously working vehicles during testing). I have ordered a new TACM and trust that this fixes the issue.

Once it arrives I will let you know how it goes and if I can get out of limp mode and drive the beast.

Cheers

Jolls

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Hi Milo

I solved my problem today and it turned out not to be the accelerator pedal or the TACM - despite testing fine for continuity the cable between the accelerator and the TACM was faulty. I expect there was a dry joint in one of the solder repairs I had made to the cable. I should have replaced the cable complete at the get go instead of trying to save a dollar and repair it. When working with computer aided systems - just not worth the risk.

Cheers n Beers

Jolls

MILOTHEGREAT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore
So after a few years of putting up with this problem and has been sitting in the shed collecting dust I've recently had the chance to put a new scanner onto my commodore and the codes that came up were maf sensor low voltage x 5 and a slip ring failure.

Maf sensor is disconnected due to mafless tune so can't really blame it for coming up

Slip ring failure... well is it possible to be part of the anti theft system that allows safety mode to arrive on my dash.

Still haven't seen any codes on accelerator pedal

CalaisNQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Calais V V8 , VS Calais, VS Ute & VZ SV6
So after a few years of putting up with this problem and has been sitting in the shed collecting dust I've recently had the chance to put a new scanner onto my commodore and the codes that came up were maf sensor low voltage x 5 and a slip ring failure.

Maf sensor is disconnected due to mafless tune so can't really blame it for coming up

Slip ring failure... well is it possible to be part of the anti theft system that allows safety mode to arrive on my dash.

Still haven't seen any codes on accelerator pedal
The slip ring fault code is related to your key lost contact with the metal ring around the ignition switch while engine starts, just for split second or so, most time not long enough to stop engine starting, but something will cause engine to stop a second or 2 after engine starts.
Make sure slip ring is clean, not tarnsted, & same with you key.
Just be careful with the slip ring, it's designed to be springy, with out the key in the ignition the metal strip should be flush or stick out alittle for the plastic.
As things wear over time, I found pushing the key inwards as you turn the ignition on, help with this fault.