Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SSZ Compressor Refurbishment

FRK

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore SSZ
Hi all,

Been a lurker here reading up all the threads about the compressor, my first post here.

So I'm thinking about refurbishing my compressor as my air conditioning unit is not cooling the air as it should.

Currently my compressor clutch engages/disengages when it needs to, and both radiator fans are engaging as need be.

I'm thinking about taking out the compressor and replacing the valves inside the unit, would this be possible?

Cheers.

wade ssz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ssz
First of all why are you wanting to do that? The price of compressors these days can be very cheap and not worth rebuilding them.
have you had it checked to see if there is gas still in the system? Clutch engaging and thermo fans are only a couple pf things that need to happen.

wade ssz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ssz
If the gas is really low there can be enough in the system to keep the low pressure switch happy and keep your clutch engageing but ac wont get cold....
also turn your as on and check by hand if you suction line to the fire wall is getting cold that may also tell you if there is gas in the system with out gauges. If that is getting really cold maybe you need to check your temperature mix door in behind dash but i think that start to turn into a big job. And if you cant diagnose from that your self you will need an auto sparky with a set of gauges to see what its doing.

FRK

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore SSZ
First of all why are you wanting to do that? The price of compressors these days can be very cheap and not worth rebuilding them.
have you had it checked to see if there is gas still in the system? Clutch engaging and thermo fans are only a couple pf things that need to happen.

It's a lot cheaper to replace a few valves instead of buying a brand new $530 compressor. Even if I get a compressor from the wreckers which will be roughly $100, it wont be guaranteed that the compressor will be reliable in the long period (and I may need to replace the valves in that compressor anyways). I have checked that there is gas in the system and there is gas.

If the gas is really low there can be enough in the system to keep the low pressure switch happy and keep your clutch engageing but ac wont get cold....
also turn your as on and check by hand if you suction line to the fire wall is getting cold that may also tell you if there is gas in the system with out gauges. If that is getting really cold maybe you need to check your temperature mix door in behind dash but i think that start to turn into a big job. And if you cant diagnose from that your self you will need an auto sparky with a set of gauges to see what its doing.

I got the system checked out by a mate who has gauges. I think he was saying that the high side was reading an acceptable pressure, however the low side was reading some odd value which lead us to believe that there may be a blockage in the system.

FRK

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore SSZ

A brand new delphi compressor would be around $530 and one from the wreckers would be roughly $100. Even if I bought one from wreckers, there is no guarantee that it will be functioning correctly and be reliable in the long run. There is still gas in the system.

I have a mate who checked out the system with gauges. If I remember correctly, he said the high side of the compressor was reading acceptable pressures, however the low side was not leading us to think that there may be either a blockage in the system, or the valves in the compressor are gone.

FRK

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore SSZ
Yeah there is gas in there. I've had a mate who has his Aircon license check it with gauges.

If I remember correctly, he was saying the high side is reading acceptable pressures however the low side was not, which lead us to conclude that there may either be a blockage in the system or the valves in the compressor are gone.

Main reason why we want to refurbish is coz a brand new delphi compressor is $530, and one from the wreckers is roughly $100 and even that isn't guaranteed to work reliably.

Trevor 062

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE S2 SSV REDLINE & 07 VZ ACCLAIM WAGON
I wouldn't even bother with a $100 wrecker job, only will end up stuffing up & your back to square one. For the $430 price difference get new with 12 months warranty