Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SSZ L76 6.0L into a VY SS Sedan

NickGNB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Sedan, VY II Acclaim Wagon, Ford Territory
Hi All, Seen a bit of info around on this one but got some questions that I haven't seen covered elseware. The LS1 in my VY SS has kicked the bucket, and I'm not hugely keen on fixing it. Got an L76 6.0L from a VZ SSZ on offer to me, and I'm pretty keen on getting a 6.0L motor into the VY chassis, as I want this specific VY shell, but with a 6.0L for future stroking and other performance related mods.

I'm wondering if anyone around has swapped an L76 into their VY car (replacing an LS1) and if so, if they used the LS1 or L76 ECU. I will be getting a loom and ECU with the L76 engine, but advice seems to say just use the existing LS1 ECU and loom with extensions. Anyone got experience on this one?

I know that to use the L76 motor with the LS1 ECU, you have to either swap the reluctor wheel or get a converter box, not worried about this. I know that a new throttlebody is needed to make the L76 a cable operated throttle (if using LS1 ECU). Anyone done this in Aus? If so any throttlebody suggestions? It would be great to get some OTR recommendations to go along with the throttlebody as I will be upgrading this aswell. Probably MAFless, but open to any recommendation.

Are there issues with the Steering rack and sump? Would have thought this wouldn't be an issue between VZ and VY. Be great for some advice here though.

I believe the aftermarket exhaust & headers I have on my current LS1 should bolt-up to the L76, but again would be great to hear of anyone who has stuck an LS1 exhaust on an L76.

Thats all the issues I am aware of that could arise with the swap from LS1 to L76, but if anyone knows of others please let me know.

Cheers!

Freedon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu ss
while i havent had experiance in putting a l76 into a vy, i have done a ls3 into a vu. the things you'll need to do will be similar id imagine.

you will need to use the ls1 computer and harness as the l76 comp is incompatable with the vy.
so you'll need injector adapters, map extention, cam sensor extention, knock sensor adapter/ extention ( depending on which way you go as stock l76 ones are located near engine mounts, can be redrilled to suit ls1 sensors or use l76 )
, if using a maf id do a ve 6.0l one and converter harness, the stock vy one will be somewhat restrictive, either a cam gear ( need ls2 ) and reluctor ( 58 to 24 tooth) change, which will require the crank to be removed or a converter box. you'll also need a cable 4 bolt throttlebody ( edelbrock/holley/fast are the better ones, i had issues with a proflow one ) and bracket. all else will use stock ls1 gear, exhaust/air intake /flywheel/gearbox will all bolt up. waterpump, depending on which version it is, may need to be replaced and modified for clearance ( post ls1 pumps have clearance issues on timing cover with ls1 pumps, it requires the bolts on the back of the pump to be replaced),

i currently use a duspeed otr, while i do like it it has become a restriction, the 2nd gen vcm otr's im told will be better ( has bigger filter area)

Last edited:

NickGNB

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers mate, I would imagine that as you say the process would be similar.

Alrighty, I had figured I would probably end up running the original computer. Sounds like it is mostly cable extensions and adapters which aren't to much of a problem to get or use. Will get a converter box rather then change the reluctor wheel I reckon.

I had planned to eventually go MAFless so had been thinking of maybe using a Holley 90mm or 95mm cable body and then a Duspeed OTR. Interesting to hear that it is giving you some trouble... I was mostly looking at them as they appear to work with the Monaro style fluted/scooped bonnets, but perhaps there might be alternate options. I'll check the VCMs to see if they'll fit the bonnet.

What throttlebody do you currently run on the LS3?

Freedon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu ss
duspeed otr doesnt give me trouble persay, its just with my setup the ls3's a heavy breather and the filter element ( which is used by most otr's ) doesnt have enough volume and has become a restriction, the gen 2 vcm uses a bigger element, so would be less of a restriction, i have heard they were doing a monaro version, though i havent seen one.

throttlebodies, when i was using the stock ls3 manifold i used a edelbrock one, the drawback with these is they have a bigger bellmouth, roughly 115mm, which can cause fitting issues with some cai /otr's. it performed flawlessly while i used it ( i still actually have it attatched to my old manifold). currently i have a fast manifold running a fast 102mm throttlebody, this would be too big for a stock 6.0 and borderline with what i run now.

with the converter box, best way to keep it running properly is to get it away from heat sources, i located mine above the brake pedal under the dash.

NickGNB

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers mate good to know, I will take a look at the VCMs. Worst case scenario there is a shop near me that can make me one to fit the engine and the bonnet.

Yea I was looking at a Holley 90mm most likely, or 95mm if the blokes tuning it think that will be best. Still waiting on the engine so will see how I go.

Fair enough, I don't see that being much of a problem, will probably end up in a similar spot. Did you change the breaks on your VU?