Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

sponge06

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais 5.7
Hi there
I have been reading a lot of threads on here trying to find the answer to my question but havent had much luck...

I have purchased a Philips CED1900BT head unit to replace my stock HU. It allows me to connect up my steering controls directly without any adapters needed. At the back of the Philips unit there are a set of wires labelled:

OE SWC IR REMOTE IN (Brown wire) - OE SWC remote in
OE SWC IR REMOTE IN (Black wire) - Ground
OE SWC AD LEARN (White wire) - OE SWC AD Learn Line 1
OE SWC AD LEARN (White wire) - OE SWC AD Learn Line 2
OE SWC AD LEARN (Black wire) - Ground

I cant find out which of the vehicle harness wires correspond with the above to allow my steering controls to function.

Is there anyone out there that can HELP!!!

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
The main 'signal' wire used in the VZ for the steering controls is brown, known as 'Steering REM' along with 'REM GND'.

The manual seems to indicate that wires 15 & 16 go to an adaptor.. but 17, 18 & 19 are learning wires... 19 being ground however.

http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/c/ced1900bt_98/ced1900bt_98_dfu_eng.pdf

The manual gives no additional information for the learning feature however.

This is the pin/wiring scheme from a factory unit, showing what goes to what in the harness:
scheme.jpg

You would need to wire 'OE SWC AD LEARN (White wire) - OE SWC AD Learn Line 1' on the head unit to 'STEERING REM' on the VZ harness.
You would need to wire 'OE SWC AD LEARN (Black wire) - Ground' on the head unit to 'REM GND' on the VZ harness.

You then go into the menu on the head unit to learn, you select what function the button does, then press the button on the steering wheel to program it in.

I am hoping this information is correct, but am i only go off assumption.

SVsikcnt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz commodore sv6
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I'm experiencing the exact same issue!
Do I wire both learn wires to the steering rem?

SVsikcnt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz commodore sv6
Oh just read it wrong my bad thanks

Filb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY sedan+ wifes VYII wagon.
I just had the same problem last weekend and what mophix has posted is exactly what i done and it worked fine just remember to set the wheel controls from your h/u,s audio settings and it should work it did for me but it took some time to work it out and was real real frustrating

Filb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY sedan+ wifes VYII wagon.
bugger sorry morphix typo?

evanstim2004

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vauxhall Astra
Hi Everyone, again sorry for bringing up an old thread but I am thinking of buying one of these stereo units and had a couple of questions regarding the steering wheel controls, I'm based in the UK have a 2006 Vauxhall Astra.

If I've understood this thread properly then the steering wheel control wires from the unit can be attached directly to the relevant wires on the original stereo wiring loom without the need for an additional CANBUS adapter. My question is if I wanted to use a wiring loom that did have a CANBUS adaptor+patch lead could I use this instead with the unit? something like this:
VAUXHALL Astra, Corsa, Tigra Steering Wheel Stalk Control Adaptor Lead CTSVX002 | eBay

I like the idea of not having to cut wires so I could easily refit the original stereo....... any advice much appreciated, thanks. Tim

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
The VY & VZ Commodores (along with others) use resistance to determine what key/button was pressed on the factory steering wheel controls, if this is the same with the Astra, then there is no need for that adaptor with this head unit as it learns what button was pressed by resistance readings and then assigned a function.

You could use that harness but remove the adaptor and use the left over wiring to wire upto the head unit, meaning no cutting of factory wiring, effectively plug and play.