Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Steering wheel controls

jwaye2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ, LN167 Turbo Hilux, VSII Ute
does anyone know if the steering wheel controls on the vz commodore can be used with a pioneer dvd head unit AVH-P4050 and how can it be done

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
By the look of it you'll need a CAT, which translates the stock steering wheel controls to your head-unit and are available from most car audio stores or JB Hi Fi i think.

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
costs about 250$$$

jwaye2

Reaction score
Members Ride
ok cool thanx. im in the process of puttin a big system in there and i dont wanna lose them controls. i find them very useful at high speeds lol

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
How do those work? I'm guessing just an IR sender that the stereo interprets as the remote control? Crazy they can get away with charging so much for em if thats all it is.

Luke0011

Car Audio Installer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 2005
the avh-P4050 has a remote input jack so you dont have to use the infra-red led. A cat-10 steering wheel module should cost about 150. And yes it will work withe the 4050

jwaye2

Reaction score
Members Ride
any idea how that hooks up to the head unit?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
on the headunit side? it just plugs straight in...on the vehicle side of things, it's a little more complicated and needs to be wired in and then programmed.

jwaye2

Reaction score
Members Ride
ok thanx so does any1 have the wiring diagram for the steering controls at the plug on the stock head unit..?

moz_and_paul911

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Supercharged V6
i just did this in my vy calais. the CAT10F unit has a pinout system inside it where you put these little clips on different number for different combinations of car and brand of system. very simple. then there are a few wires - blue brown green black and red. Red to Acc, Black to Earth, Brown to vehicle brown, blue to antenna, and green is not used. Also, i had to earth out the black with yellow trace on the vehicle. The install is very straight forward and the instructions come with it. also i had to mount the IR sender, i tucked it along the roof lining and put it near the rear passenger vanity light. This isnt the best because when i have a passenger their head blocks the signal so im going to move it somewhere low near the handbrake. hope this helps. I paid $188 for the unit from JB but that was cost price.