Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Steering wheel controls

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Yea, i wouldn't bother with a CAT system. As long as the head unit supports external controls (for example the Rotary Commander for all Sony's head units) then it would only be a few dollars of parts to make something to get your buttons working.

I'll let you know how i go when i buy my Sony head unit for my car.

Luke0011

Car Audio Installer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 2005
Yea, i wouldn't bother with a CAT system. As long as the head unit supports external controls (for example the Rotary Commander for all Sony's head units) then it would only be a few dollars of parts to make something to get your buttons working.

I'll let you know how i go when i buy my Sony head unit for my car.

of course it would cost only a couple of dollars to make the circuit to get the buttons working, but do you know how to do it, what components you need let alone the equipment to make it.... I think not, thats why you pay for the technology. I think a slab of beer should cost 2 dollars as well.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
of course it would cost only a couple of dollars to make the circuit to get the buttons working, but do you know how to do it, what components you need let alone the equipment to make it.... .

Most dont have a clue how to build a dvd player either, requiring just a few more components......please tell us about any other piece of consumer electronics that costs so much and does so little.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
of course it would cost only a couple of dollars to make the circuit to get the buttons working, but do you know how to do it, what components you need let alone the equipment to make it.... I think not, thats why you pay for the technology. I think a slab of beer should cost 2 dollars as well.
You see, the thing is i do know what parts i need. And i've got quite alot of parts sitting on my desk for when i clear a prototype cicruit i have on my desk. Yes i've done an electronics subject at uni (and a bit in school before that) and i work in an electronics shop. Hence why i said in the post i would get around to it. I dont care about designing things and then charging people next to nothing for it because i've designed the thing for myself or a really close friend, so why not let others be able to save money on something i've already worked on?!

Although, i agree with you on the beer, but i think i've turned off beer for the moment, too much lately. So it's Jack Daniels FTW :wax:

Most dont have a clue how to build a dvd player either, requiring just a few more components......please tell us about any other piece of consumer electronics that costs so much and does so little.
A FEW more? Thats a LOT more! But DVD players are cheap, and actually the $39 (when on sale) palsonic DVD players are better than the expensive ones as they are multi region :p Just dont play XVid.

Luke0011

Car Audio Installer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 2005
Well alien please design one for 20 dollars and ill buy 10 thousand of them or tell me how to make one and ill give you 2 grand.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Hopefully manufacturers of hunits will come to the party soon. When they realise people arent updating their fact setups because of loss of functionability and unit displays that cater more for kids that are attracted to bright lights we will have some cheaper offerings.

Already, hunits with both ipod control and usb are now available for less than $200, and people think its good value to spend $150+ on the steering wheel electronics?

The remote control on my budget dvd player can come preprogrammed with codes to work nearly every other domestic hifi device with a remote control on the market, the number of different setups in car steering wheel remote setups would be miniscule in comparison.